Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

is it a good idea to flush out the cooling system

ROSS70JEN

is it a good idea to flush out the cooling system

Post by ROSS70JEN »

hi any advice as to flushing our a Conquest Century

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: is it a good idea to flush out the cooling system

Post by HenryC »

I would take every opportunity to flush out the engine block and radiator of a Century. Prevention is better than a cure.

My current car suffers from overheating, not when idling or driving on ordinary roads, but when driving fast on dual carriageways. I have fitted a recon water pump and recon radiator but it is no better. When I stop after a fast run I can hear the water boiling at the back of the engine, by cylinders 5 and 6.

Previously, when I had the head off and the engine manifolds out of the car, I removed the core plugs from the side of the engine and tried to remove as much rubbish as possible with a bit of wire and screwdriver. But it wasn't good enough.

I have acquired 3 more Century blocks in a bid to find one that is not silted up around cylinders 5 & 6 but they all show signs of serious silting.

So my message is 'Prevention is easier than a cure' - flush it out regularly and use a good quality corrosion inhibiting anti freeze.

I'm afraid I can't advise you on a good Flushing solution as I haven't found one that will clear my engine.

This may not be the answer you were looking for but ......... I hope your engine is a good'un, my previous Conquest was, it never overheated.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

ROSS70JEN

Post by ROSS70JEN »

MANY THANKS yes my engine it good fingers crossed thanks for your advice will do before the winter.
regards Bryan

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, at the beginning of this year, I had the engine from my Lanchester LA11 Overhauled by Cox & Turner (Yeovil),part of the process included having the whole Cylinder Block Chemically cleaned.
I can now leave the engine running for for as long as I wish without fear of overheating, even on the warmest days, the Temperature Gauge rarely exceeds 170 deg C .
So in conclusion, if your going to have your engine overhauled, try to ensure that the company that you have entrusted to do the work, can also clean the Cylinder Block properly .

Cheers Al 😀

johnwager

Post by johnwager »

the Temperature Gauge rarely exceeds 170 deg C
Blimey Al that's a hot one :D :D

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Hi again Bryan

May I join Henry in recommending that you do try to clear your Conquest Block of as much crud as possible via the core plugs on the off side of the block.

I did so shortly after buying my Century in 1994. It was really an incidental task among many other jobs/upgrades around the engine, but was well worthwhile. I rodded as much as I could dislodge with long chisels or other pointy steel tools to the extent of several pounds of sand and rust fragments. Since then the car has travelled the length and breadth of the UK in summer weather without any sign of over-heating at any time; that 6 blade fan may help a little too. It has certainly given peace of mind year after year!

Regards

Fossil

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Ooooop’s silly Old Al, should have said 170 deg F, Not 170 deg C ! !.
So 170 deg F equates to around 76 deg C which I’m more than happy with .😊😊😊