Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports dash removal

tpickering

Special Sports dash removal

Post by tpickering »

I have a newly aquired 1950 Special Sports that needs some love and attention and want to remove the dash to carry out a lot of rewiring.

Could anyone help with how the dash comes out please?

On taking delivery of the car the following was evident.
New battery fitted recently but POLARITY REVERSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I found this because the ampmeter reads backwards.
1 Ht lead badly damaged and others fitted in the wrong firing order
Retro fitted indicators that do not work correctly
Water temp gauge not working
Rev counter not working
1/4 turn Play in the steering
Contact points closed right up
And that I am sure is only the start of the "fun"
And this car was advertised as roadworthy.

let the games commence

regards

Trevor Western Australia

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Special Sports dash removal

Post by John-B »

A Special Sports owner who might help is Kevin Bennett, our Club magazine editor, email editor @ dloc.co.uk (no spaces).

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Thank you John

I have e mailed Kevin and hope to hear back from him

best regards

Trevor

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

At least you won’t get bored !!

Ref the Rev-counter, have a look at the Dynamo drive and cable first.

It’s mechanic rather than electric.

There is a gearbox at the end of the Dynamo.
This can dry-out, and gears strip etc

Then the cable - remove the cable from the dial, and check cable in place a turning.

If all’s well, think about the dial. It is unique to the ss cars, so probably refurb rather than replace.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Trevor,
Sorry is as wondering why forum members were talking about supply of parts “down under” when your profile shows London Norfolk.
Then i see you are inWA: D’OH.
There is an excellent Western Australian Daimler Club. One of the stalwarts of the club owns a beautiful Special Sports he restored himself and he will be the go to man for any info you need and also to advise on parts availability.
Send me an email separately and I can dirty you.
Which car did you buy, was it the dark red over cream car that’s as advertised a little while ago?
There was also a two tone blue car some years ago that’s eels to have disappeared.
Cheers
Peter Grant
Sydney

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Reverse polarity maybe, or...maybe not. It’s quite possible the 2 wires connected to the ammeter have been connected back to front so all that’s needed is to swap them over.

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Thank you for all the help

Polarity
This has been changed as the first thing I did was to check on the battery and it has been connected up as Negative earth,
Thats why the ampmeter is reading backwards.

Which Car?
Yes the car I purchased was the red and cream one recently advertised on Carsales site and needs a complete restoration of the mechanics but there is some good news.
In the history file there is evidence that the radiator was renewed and also a "reconditioned" cylinder head and new piston rings fitted around 5 years ago.
The wiring is a fire waiting to happen and needs urgent attention.

The hood was also recovered but the mechanisim is completly shot and requires a complete rebuild.
I am handing over the hood job to a good friend of mine in Perth who restores Rolls Royce and Bentley cars as has built numerous hoods for these over the years.

The rev counter cable is missing and I have ordered a replacement and will remove the drive unit from the end of the generator and inspect that as well.

Going back to the water temp gauge I have had a look behind the dash at the back of the gauge and it looks to be an electrical type as there is no connection for a thermometer "bulb" type probe.
Also there is an electrical sender in the thermostat housing.
Can any one help with who could restore the gauge please?

many thanks again for the help

Trveor