Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Db18 ss rear hub removal

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Db18 ss rear hub removal

Post by Db n j »

Having removed the axel from our Barker ss, to assist in refurbishing the chassis and body beneath, I want to replace the hub and pinion oil seals (all are leaking badly.)

Without the six of a Haynes Manual, are there any tips ?

I have drawn the half-shaft, which revealed a bearing behind a nut with a strange wire cage around the circumference. I guess the nut a cage needs removing to release the bearing , with the seal behind ?

Any help appreciated

qantasqf1

Re: Db18 ss rear hub removal

Post by qantasqf1 »

The ‘strange wire cage’ is the hub nut locking ring. To remove it just prize it away from the nut starting at the free end. The passenger side hub nut is a left hand thread while the drivers side is a right hand thread. When the nuts have been removed you may or may not need a hub puller to remove them from the axle. Once they’ve been removed the bearing is easily tapped out with a hammer and drift. The hub seal will come out with the bearing.
The pinion oil seal is a different kettle of fish if by that you mean the seal behind the differential drive flange. That entails removing the propeller shaft and drive flange, but I’ll leave that to other members’ posts as I have never done this job.
Steve

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks Steve, all I need is a 2 1/4 inch spanner ! (Hopefully get from Graham Emmett on Thursday).

Very useful to know the nut is handed.

I have an old photocopy somewhere of the pinion oil seal replacement, which I will share when it appears.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Just an update on the repair work.

I decided to remove the axle, firstly to allow easier access to do the repairs, but also to allow easier access to clean and paint the rear underbody.

The axel is a big heavy lump, and goes between the body and the chassis, and with the brake back-plates attached cant be removed whole, so one of the tubes was removed
(a two man job anyway.(thanks GrahamE).

This makes everything easy to access. The hubs came off easiiy as I don't have a suitable hub-puller (thanks for the guidance from Steve, and GrahamE's big spanner)
Bearings and seals are readily available and cheap.

The pinion was also straightforward, following Michael Pringles article - I can scan a copy, but I am hoping someone will be able to find the article, originally
published in the Driving Member, but happy to mail a copy of anyone asks.

I assembled the axle minus the hubs and halfshafts, back-plates etc cos I wanted to make sure the tube was safely mated. This meant with a lot of fiddling to get it
back in place (even as a one man job).

Now to replace hubs and brakes..