Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports Rev Counter

clevitt

Re: Special Sports Rev Counter

Post by clevitt »

Hi Trevor,
Perhaps C45PV4 is the Lucas generic designation, and the service or type number refers to a variant for a specific application? There is a lot of Lucas documentation in the DB18.org website including cross referencing against application.
The Lucas service number for the Special Sports is given in Trader Service Data 179 as 22435A.
Thinking outside the box, could you convert to an electronic tachometer, although the more difficult part would be converting the dashboard gauge to an electronic rather than a mechanical input .
Chris

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Trevor,

I will talk to Derek when he back in the uk in a couple of weeks. I believe in the past, he had a small batch of end plates made or modified.

I am not a machinist, but could see how an insert could be made into the existing end boss. Of course, you would have to add something to the end of the armature to connect to the gearbox.

By the way, you are not the only person looking for a solution.

Finally, I have a verbal quote to convert a mechanical Rev counter to electronic. The caveat is achieving needle stability may not be as good as previous. remembering that the mechanical item is damped by the way it operates. (About £100). cheaper than a gearbox and cable.

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Thank you gain for the reply

My new cable has arrived from the UK and I may have tracked down the correct generator end plate with the take off for the drive gearbox.

Now all I need is the gearbox :o :o :o

I would like to keep the car original if possible but will consider the electric conversions if all else fails.

best regards

Trevor

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Trevor,
I emailed that UK company waring them that you will be in touch.
Hopefully the lure of some orders will spur them on to get a batch of the gearboxes made up ready for sale.
Cheers
Peter G

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Thank you Peter
I will get in touch with them now.

If I could get hold of one to copy I think it should be possible to make some here.
There must be someone in Perth who could cut the gears and the casing I could probably machine.

all the best

Trevor

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Trevor,

Good work!

Just wondered about the origins of the backplate ? Is it from a Special Sports , or another car ??

Peter if you don’t get joy from Richfield, I gave another possibility.

Regards

Db

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

The end plate with drive is from another car but I think this should not be a problem if the pulley size is the same

I have also contacted Speedograph Richfield and am awaiting a reply

Trevor