Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 15 water temperature sensor removal

captain bobo

Daimler 15 water temperature sensor removal

Post by captain bobo »

I need to repair the housing of the automatic choke mechanism on my 1937 15 Sports Saloon. To remove the housing I need to disconnect the water temperature sensor which is housed in a brass "gland" (that has 2 nuts) mounted in the housing. Undoing the upper nut reveals the sensor firmly mounted in the gland which is firmly mounted in the housing. The gland appears to be threaded into the body of the automatic choke housing.

I don't want to do anything rash and force the gland nut, so my question is: how is the gland mounted to the housing? Is it threaded? Any tips for freeing the gland which has been in that housing for 85 years?

The attached photo shows the upper nut undone and the sensor mounted in the gland. All suggestions welcomed !
Attachments
20210508_155616.jpg
Best wishes, Dave B

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler 15 water temperature sensor removal

Post by Db n j »

Dave, for what it’s worth it looks same as Db18, which means it’s just held in place by the inner nut. (And 80 years of debris)

That means trying to remove the debris and the sender, or worse ,,,,

Sorry, no easy answer

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I have never done this job on a Daimler but I have done many similar jobs over the years. . I suggest firstly give it a good soaking with a penetrating fluid ( my preference is PlusGas) leave it for as long as you can. Once every so often give it a GENTLE tap all around in as many directions as you can with a small hammer. It should eventually loosen enough to twist out.

Best of luck.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Thank you for your comments. I'm delighted to report that a large squirt of WD40, leaving it to penetrate for a few hours, gentle tapping from all sides, scraping at the debris with a needle, and a few gentle tugs resulted in the sensor and the gland parting company.

The aluminium casting that houses the thermal sensor is now safely removed from the front of the cylinder head too, ready to assess the repair needed.
Best wishes, Dave B

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

In the immortal words of Monty Python “you were lucky”

Enjoy the moment!

What’s up with the housing ?

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Yes, I figure I was lucky!

The aluminium housing was damaged slightly by a previous owner.

The consequence of the damage is that, over time, corrosion has created a small hole that now leaks coolant.

I suspect that one of the J B Weld products might cure the leak by filling and sealing the small damaged area.

They make several types of hardening filler, I wonder which one might be best.

I'm going to make a seperate post to pose this question.

Hope you and Julie are both well,
Best wishes, Dave B