Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wedding ribbon

GrahamH

Re: Wedding ribbon

Post by GrahamH »

I changed the gearbox mount last year when I changed the flywheel oil seal so that is ok, this was really loud and heavy knocking, I could feel it through the floor so I’m wondering if as the engine mounts are soft that the engine and body are out of line and the additional weight was the last straw, it’s fine with no weight in though, I’ll have to get under and have a look see if I can actually see what/where it’s hitting.
Also it got faster with the road speed until I was cruising then it went away?

Marcel I wasn’t brave enough to ask them to leave their handbags behind 🤪😱
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Check the rear shock absorber linkages, i wonder if one hasn’t come adrift and with the passengers in the back the clearances have diminished and something is coming into contact with the body work or floor, maybe prop shaft?
Peter Grant

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Thanks Peter, it could be the propshaft as it’s a regular thump thump thump that increases as I accelerate, goes as I change gear then starts again in the next gear until I lift off and cruise then it’s silent

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Key factor is that the noise happens when there a lot of weight in rear.

Sounds like the rear body is moved too close to the prop-shaft.

Peter is correct, the rear links are a possible area to check (when the rubber disbonds, the arm can drop off)

Worth a quick check.

Otherwise, shocks or springs ?

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Ok so I’ve been under the car today and the knocking was the propshaft rubbing in the body, can’t see anything loose broken or bent so I at a loss, the only thing I can think of is that the springs have settled and lost some ‘spring’? Otherwise I can’t see anything wrong 😱

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

When you say "the knocking was the propshaft rubbing in the body" , do you mean in the chassis, not the body ?

If it was rubbing in the cross-piece of the chassis (cross-piece is adjacent to the car battery) then it could be the gearbox mount has come adrift. Depending on how many people you had in the car (I think I hold the record in a Consort at eleven skinny students including myself), it could add enough weight to require more torque, causing the gearbox to lift slightly if the mount has come adrift.

If it wasn't rubbing in the cross-piece, whereabouts ? If at the rear there's about 6 inches of movement until the rear axle come into contact on the body at the back (the weight of eleven skinny students took up that gap until the axle hit the bump stops). The only way to do that without overloading good springs, would be due to weak springs or a broken shackle or possibly a clamp holding the rear-axle to the spring is loose or broken.

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

It’s hitting the underside of the floor not at the front where the prop goes through the chassis but where there is a small step in the floor, there’s a mark on the prop nd same on the floor, it must be due to the springs being old and less supportive (after 70 years). I can’t see anything else wrong, nothing loose or broken, I think someone before me has had the body off as all the rubber mounts seem to be quite new, also all the brake pipes have been replaced👍🏻

Is there a good place to purchase new springs or get mine re done?

Cheers

Graham

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Also got some play in the u/j’s so I’ve ordered 2 new ones and I’ll replace these but I don’t think this is the problem😱

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

If you pull the back seat out you'll see two wooden inspection covers (for checking the oil in the diff etc). There's about 6 screws on each similar to the screws in the main wooden section at the front. Take the screws out and lift the wooden cover and you can inspect it all better. The prop shaft should be about 6 inches below the centre section of the floor at the back, if it's not, then there's something else wrong. I think someone else had a problem with weak springs or wrong springs or incorrectly fitted springs - I can't remember exactly what it was or who it was or how long ago .