Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE36 chassis 51179

Marcus

DE36 chassis 51179

Post by Marcus »

All. Am in the process of acquiring this windover bodied limousine. Have referenced Brian Smith’s excellent books for details. It would appear to be the last 36 bodied by this coach builder in 1948.
Wondered if anyone in the club has knowledge of the car?

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: DE36 chassis 51179

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Marcus,
if anyone know is will be Club registrars Peter Ruifrok.
I’ll email him.
Please share some photos when you can of the car.
there is oneDE36 Windover bodied limousine here in Australia, recently sold from an estate for restoration.
Three Windover bodied DE 27’s also known here, one owner driver in excellent condition that sold a year or so ago, and then a car with division but no occasional seats dismantled awaiting restoration and a limousine owned by an enthusiast in Canberra needing some TLC.
Cheers
Peter Grant

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi Peter,
Just after posting this I had the same thought about contacting the registrar and he replied very quickly. It turns out that he was aware of the vehicle.
Key points:

First taxed by W. Watson & Co. from Liverpool. Then registered by a Manchester dealer in March '49 and again by the same in May '51. Last taxed in April '64 in Cambridge. Was found in a farmers barn in April 2003 with only 18,000 Has two plates indicating supplied by Carmart (?). Engine number 11913. .

Bodynumber 6699. original colour green, but later painted black. Now in bare aluminium.
current registration number JKA174.
Fitted with factory replacement engine early in life
Engine has been partially overhauled by last owner
Much other work done too such as rechroming and Woodwork renovation.
I don’t have very good pictures yet but will upload when I can.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Marcus,

Our own go to DE guru, John Hiscox sent me the following:

Page 162 of D Tradition shows 51179 as being delivered in chassis to Windovers in July 1948. It was the 116 design and the last delivery although 51180 precedes it. There were then 2 later deliveries in 1948 on the 136 design.
The only other history of it is that it was owned by A Huxley, 147 Queen Edith Way, Cambridge, CBI 8PT

Looking forward to some photos.

Cheers
Peter Grant