Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Super Sports Hood

tpickering

Super Sports Hood

Post by tpickering »

Hello

I am about to have the hood on my 1950 SS recovered and would like to know if the original rear window would have been glass or something else?

many thanks

Trevor

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Super Sports Hood

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Trevor,
Check out some for sale postings on Google for Special Sports, the original was a very narrow glass window with chromed metal surround.
Rare as hen's teeth to find. Here is a photo to give you an idea.
John Robison Special Sports in 2009. Rear quarter JPG.JPG
Cheers
Peter Grant

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Thank you Peter

Looks like the original rear window is very small and restricts rear view a lot.

Is it a no no to fit a larger perspex one? as i do like to keep things original if possible but not if it's a safety issue.

Trevor

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Trevor,
if you can have a look at how Tom Saggers has fitted the rear window to his Special Sorts.
It is firstly, much larger and secondly, and genius, there is a heavy duty nylon zipper that goes around the top and both sides of the window to allow the window to fold down vertically inside the rear compartment of the passenger section and that allows wonderful flow through ventilation with the hood up on a warm day: brilliant!
Tom is a luminary of the Western Australian Daimler Club so yo should be able to contact him no problem. he restored the car himself and would be a very valuable ally in getting your car to tip top condition.
Cheers
Peter G

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Thanks again Peter

I did speak to Tom several weeks ago but not about this and I will give him a call and arrange a visit to see his car if possible.

I am taking the car up to Perth to have the work done on the hood so may be I could see Tom then.
I like the idea of a zip to enable the rear window to fold down for ventilation with the hood up. A clever idea!
best regards
Trevor