Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Car Key Sought.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Car Key Sought.

Post by Stan Thomas »

I did post this appeal about two years ago - but just on the off-chance and not having any success elsewhere, I thought I might ask again.

I'm after a door key for my 1931 16/20 - so would anyone with a pre 1932-sh car check - as such early cars were inevitably fitted with H & T Vaughan door locks, for which I need key number LL26 - and will pay you hansomely to get me one cut to pattern.

Hope you can help.

Stan Thomas.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: Car Key Sought.

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

LL1 is on eBay. Could you file the tumblers to suit?
There are also a number of others with 4 and 5 digit numbers.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Marcel,

Good thought to file the tumblers - which is a good ruse if you don't have the correct key as you rightly say.

Problem is, that can only be done by removing the lock barrel, which requires the key (which I don't have!) to be inserted and then depressing the release plunger with a thin prod in the pin-hole on the side of the lock body. I have bought a quantity of H & TV keys off Ebay on the off-chance, before realising that unless it is the correct one this was a blind alley.

I've even thought of taking the bloody door off (as Michael Caine would say) and hoofing it to a major autojumble where the key sellers are and trying their stock. H & T Vaughn sold out to Chub in 1928 - who continued to make the lock but "re-numbered" the keys - but they have no records.

Also, the bonnet has small Yale locks which don't even have a key code on them. Typical of Daimler - you can just get in and turn on the ignition switch to steal the car - but you need a key to open the bonnet to steal half a ton of sleeve valve engine!! I'm convinced the Daimler Board in those days must have had meetings to determine the most difficult and costly way to do things - if they had sex in a canoe they probably would have done it standing up.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Is there a conversion table available to convert from the LL26 to the number system?

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

LL26 for sale here for £3.95
https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/snap- ... ycode=LL26

I got my spare keys from rkeys for my Dart.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

How is it the SP250 needs 4 keys! Ignition, door, glovebox and boot - I have colour spots on mine so I know which is which!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

I thought that the door, glovebox and ignition were suited - at least they are in mine. Not that the lock makes any difference to the glove box!

Kevin

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

Mine: ignition, door, boot
So if we add the combination my Dart offers then it may look as if one key could have fitted all.

But I'm afraid Stan is after something else ...
Hans
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I think the snap on toolbox keys are only the same in serial number only.