Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Anna Neagle's Daimler Double Six

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Anna Neagle's Daimler Double Six

Post by Christopher Storey »

I recently encountered pictures of a magnificent Martin Walter Double Six GY 1091 , said to have been built for Anna Neagle , the actress, in 1932. The puzzling thing is that the DVLA shows this car as having a 4027cc engine, which I can relate neither to the smaller Double Sixes nor to the Straight Eights . Can those more knowledgeable than me solve the mystery please ?
Attachments
7f356b662227e7b7f0b6e82895a27b15.jpg
1932-daimler-40-50-double-six-sport-saloon-by-martin-walter-ltd.jpg

Rolf B.

Re: Anna Neagle's Daimler Double Six

Post by Rolf B. »

Hi Christopher,

have a look at this website and you can see, an 40/50 engine is installed in the engine bay:

https://www.coachbuild.com/2/index.php/ ... aloon-1932

Cheers
Rolf

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

... this website shows a little bit more about the historic of the car and the engine under superscription "Feature car history":

https://www.supercars.net/blog/daimler-double-six-4050/

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

An astonishing car, it rivals the Bugatti Royale in many ways.

That second link is a very interesting read, best to use as many ad-blockers as possible to read it in peace. At the end of the link you'll find all the specs, including a stated top speed of 100 mph - but where would a film star go to reach those speeds in the 30s ? - and presumably there was a second car needed to follow behind, in order to carry all the luggage that a film star would have.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Sorry, I should have made it clearer - I have read all about the car,( which originally I thought looked like a Corsica bodied car ) but the DVLA entry shows it as 4027cc, which I cannot reconvile with the sale catalogues etc

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

The .gov entry for GY 1091 has "Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 14 June 1996", which may have been still during the period when a previous owner in the Isle of Man had removed the Daimler engine and replaced it with a Buick straight eight engine

The original 40/50 engine was reunited with the chassis some time from 1994 to 1999, when the car plus original engine had been shipped from the UK to the USA where it undertook a 5 year restoration.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Ah, thank you Brian H, that is the explanation

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Brian's explanation about the engine is exactly cited from the second website I posted about which you wrote you've read all about the car.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

^ aye to that, but one also has to spot "Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 14 June 1996" in the .gov entry and then match that to the history in that good link.