Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Hooper Empress in Germany

SteveW62

Hooper Empress in Germany

Post by SteveW62 »

I Don‘t visit the non-SP forums much , so don‘t know of this has been mentioned before.

This just appeared in a local ebay classified advert

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... ialbuttons

I don’t know or have any connection to the seller.

It says only 7 were made. 2.5 let engine. Sounds like has a pre-select box ( literally translated it says semi-automatic), Aluminium body & lots of paperwork from the factory.

Not my cup of tea, but maybe interesting for you guys

S.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Hooper Empress in Germany

Post by Db n j »

Steve,

Thanks for the post. Most interesting.

I don’t recognise the car, but it looks like a
2 door empress built on the Conquest Century chassis.

I suspect the 7 built will be correct, though maybe only a couple of others survive.

Looks complete, but will need a shed load of work and money to make it good.

Sure geoff Douglas will give us the history (I can’t see any books at the mo, as we are away from home.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

One too many noughts
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

A great car but as you say it will need a shed load of money spent on it.
I have recently completed a body off chassis resto. on a 1953 RR Silver Wraith with an Empress body by Hooper ( BLW66}and spent many££££££ on the chassis and engine etc. (circa £50K) and had not even started on the body and paint so to do a full restoration to a good standard would be much more than this :o
I did all the work my self apart from having the machining done on the engine block to fit new liners and the crank regrind.so the money spent does not include anything for labour.
A great project for someone but you will have to dig deep.
An interesting point about Hooper coachwork is the fact that they used virtually no wood in their bodies.
The A and B pillars on my old car were cast Aliuminium ( Birmabright) and very strong so with the lack of wood and the strong build they are a good body to work on.

Good luck to the new owner

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

I wish I would be ten years younger because Stockach the town where the Empress is located now is just 200 miles away from where I live. I'm interested in 2-door Empresses since a long time but there're other projects I've to finish. Hopefully my 1933 Daimler 15 Sports Coupé will be back on road in a couple of weeks after a seven year long technical restoration and then there're my Jaguar MK2 and the XK 120 FHC which are awaiting the completion of restoration too.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Would be interested to hear which of the seven this is and its past history. I am sure Geoff will know.

Looks like it has probably passed through several hands maybe and no-one has attempted or been brave enough to start the restoration.

Having driven Geoffs and seen John Ridley's old car go through auction (but I think that was a different model), I know they are magnificent when complete and maybe more driveable than the larger Empresses.

It is such a shame that they get in this state and clearly have not been well stored.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Until Geoff responds, this is what we discussed about the car when it was last for sale in 2016 @£3750 REG LBR 775

we don't have LBR's transfer date, only the delivery date of March 1955, to Joseph Mackle, chairman of Stratstone I believe. Dennis Morgan said that LBR belonged to a Joe Dickerson in San Francisco when he discovered it in the US, but was evidently unable to get any history from him. The next link I found while en route to the 1995 annual rally at Mangapps Farm in Essex, advertised in Classic & Sportscar by a dealer having been reimported to the UK. Barry Thorne later told me that he had imported it, but was unable to retain it. I contacted the dealer from whom I discovered that it had been sold to a customer, a lawyer, in Eire, whom I later corresponded with very briefly when it emerged that he had no intention of restoring it and was clearly a speculator. Its next appearance was on eBay in 2012. then again in 2016 shown below does not looked to have changed much in the last seven years
DaimlerEmpress055.jpg
DaimlerEmpress052.jpg
DaimlerEmpress051.jpg
DaimlerEmpress024.jpg
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk