Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 SS Inner Wing access panel

tpickering

DB18 SS Inner Wing access panel

Post by tpickering »

Since I purchased my SS about 4 months ago I have been struck by the vey poor access to the lower engine bay and steering box etc. on the right(drivers side)
This side of the engine is virtually unreachable from above due to the carbs and manifolds etc. and the oportunities to service the steering box and other components are very limited.

I am thinking about cutting an access panel in the inner wing to overcome this problem.
it will be securly fixed when not in use to retain it's original integrity.

I used to own a RR Silver Cloud 111 and this had panels like this on both sides of the engine bay to allow access to change spark plugs as the early V8's had the plugs under the manifolds are are unreachable from above.
This is where I got the idea from.

Has any one else done this please?

Thanks
Trevor

davidian

Re: DB18 SS Inner Wing access panel

Post by davidian »

Hi Trevor.
I think its a good idea and one I would certainly consider, purists may disagree, but every time i have to do a task in this area my hands get cut and gouged trying to thread them through to reach a nut or bolt .I dont think the inner wing is structural, mine just seems to rest on the chassis on rubber pads, and once the wheel is back on the removable panel wont be seen anyway.
Regards David Ian.

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Thanks David
I intend to do this and will make a start possibly next week as I am working on the brakes and suspension at the moment and have removed most of it so access is good.
I will post details and pictures of what I do in case any one else is thinking of doing it,

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Here is a picture of the inner wing access panel I made to cover the hole I cut to gain an easy route to the steering box for servicing.
The steering box is virtually impossible to reach from above as the carbs and manifolds are in the way and working head down is not possible for me.
Inner wing access.JPG
I can now get to the box easily and I took the top off to find it nearly empty of lube.
I managed take the top off the box to clean some of it out and replaced with Penrite Steering box lubricant and adjust the screw in the top.
Steering is now much better and easier to turn at low speed.

The new wing cover is secured by rivnuts and 4mm bolts.