Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Pedal Bushes

davidian

DB18 Pedal Bushes

Post by davidian »

Hello.
It is a fact that in order to perform a task on our cars a lot of dismantling has to take place to do the job in question and there is a temptation to say while I m doing this I might as well do that and such was the case when i renewed the brake master cylinder,I thought whilst doing this I might as well renew the pedal bushes as there was a bit of play but despite undoing every fitting attached to the frame I was unable to slide the pedals off the shaft because they hit the side of the gearbox, is there a way of replacing these bushes without removing the gearbox?
David Ian

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: DB18 Pedal Bushes

Post by Brian-H »

You have to remove the entire pedal by undoing and removing the bolt that clamps the end of the pedal shaft into the relevant brake (or gearbox) lever. The pedal and its shaft then withdraw into the car.

davidian

Post by davidian »

Hi Brian.
Its my bad vocabulary that is at fault, the problem I have is not the pedals as such but the bushes in the levers the pedals attach to ,on the left side there is only about three quarter inch clearance between the end of the brake/ gear change shaft and the side of the gearbox,but there seems no way to remove the shaft from the right hand side ie no holes in the frame to do so.
Regards David Ian.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Sorry, I mis-read your post

I guess you've got the toe-board out already (disconnected throttle pedal link and swung throttle pedal into car with its short shaft, removed brake pedal from brake lever and pulled pedal with shaft into car, removed gear-change pedal from gear-change lever and pulled pedal with shaft into car, undone screws holding cover that's over the gearbox and removed the cover, removed all the screws holding the toe-board, and then removed the toe-board)

So I'm not sure how the shaft comes out (on which the brake lever and gear-change lever swivel)

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I've just had a look, if you've still got the brake master cylinder out of the car, then you might be able to get the shaft out with the two levers attached.

The shaft is held by two 'brackets' which look like they're secured onto the chassis with two bolts/nuts on each bracket. If you removed those, there's a chance that you could manoeuvre the shaft side ways and out with the levers still attached (also remove the link from the gear-change lever to the gearbox, maybe also get the selector linkage off the gearbox and out of the way too).

There's also a possibility that the very short chassis piece (just to the rear of the lever shaft) comes out as well, also held in place with bolts/nuts.

Otherwise it's gearbox out.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

My experience with the Empress is that it’s not possible to remove the whole shaft while the gearbox is in place. I had to content myself with only replacing the gear pedal (which was extremely worn)

I have the luxury of doing a better job on our Barker as the box is out.

Btw there is a hole in the pedal casting fur lubrication - bet that never happens 🙁

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

But as David Ian points out (and as it also looks to me) is it not impossible to get the gear-change lever off the shaft with the gearbox in place ?

If so the only other possibility is to attempt to undo the 'brackets' securing the shaft and try to manoeuvre the shaft sideways (while pulling the shaft downwards and out from the levers)

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Well I managed to angle the shaft to remove the first pedal, but had to give up on the brake.

davidian

Post by davidian »

Update.
When I first attempted this job a few years back I didn't have the parts catalog to help identify the various parts ,but I do now and the reason I am returning to it is the haphazard gear selecting which could be down to the sloppy gear change lever/pedal. The parts cat&dog page 28 show the shaft as No 31 and is threaded one end but does not show what it is screwed into, the shaft passes through item 30 which is bolted to the beginning of the cruciform part of the frame thus trapping the brake lever within the frame , item 30 also carries item 1 on page 30. I am now having another go and have removed floorboard , toe board, and pedal extensions and a note to tell me the gear change pedal is the longer one .To be continued :?
David Ian.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Going from right to left (where right is closest to handbrake lever and left is closest to gearbox)

On page 28
#29 is bolted to the side of the chassis with two nuts and bolts (see page 51)
#31 threaded end goes through one of the holes in #29 and is held by a nut and split pin (see page 51)
#21 slides onto #31
#30 slides onto #31 and is secured to the chassis with two nuts and bolts (see page 51)
#25 then slides onto #31 and then there's a washer and split pin at the end of #31

If you undo #29 and #30 from the chassis and remove the split pin and washer on #31, you might be able to wiggle #31 around enough to slide #25 off the end of #31, then create room to undo the nut at the end of #31, then slide #31 out from #21 and #30, then pick out #21 and #30 and #29.

You'd have to remove as much else as possible, master cylinder, springs, rods, etc, etc.

On page 30
#1 on page 30 is part of the assembly on page 28 in that #1 sits between #29 and #30 on page 28.
#2 on page 30 rotates on #1, and #21 on page 28 moves #2 on page 30 (and #2 then pulls the master cylinder forwards).

EDIT
I found the short chassis pieces in the parts catalogue

Page 36
#32 is bolted into the chassis using has eight bolts and nuts
#33 is welded to the chassis
#24 is a small pedal-stop bolted across the top of the chassis forward of #32

Back on page 30 again
#7 is bolted "north-south" between #32 and #33 on page 36

If you remove the master cylinder and all the rods and springs, then remove #7 on page 30 then #24 and #32 on page 36, there could be ample room to manoeuvre the shaft and levers.