Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Pedal Bushes

davidian

Re: DB18 Pedal Bushes

Post by davidian »

A very good rundown on how every thing fits together Brian, I did write a further update last evening but it obviously did not send ( always having problems with our connection ) . The point I have reached is that i have disconnected parts 29, 30 page 28. part 5 from 2 page 30 and part 24 page 36. In order to jiggle the shaft into a position where I can remove the gear change lever it would be beneficial to have the levers inside the car but they foul the bottom of the bulkhead by about a quarter inch , grinding a bit off the underneath to achieve this wont do any harm I think. I feel reluctant to remove part 32 page 36 because the connection of the flexible high pressure tube and the metal brake tube occurs through this item and I remember that the limited access made it difficult to connect without getting a crossed thread when I last serviced the master cylinder , so if more jiggle room is needed I would sooner try to undo the castellated nuts on part 29.
David Ian.

davidian

Post by davidian »

Further update.
With all the aforementioned parts disconnected I jiggled part No 30 into the edge of the hole in the frame which raised it upwards a bit and the gear change lever almost came off, it needed just a fraction more clearance and I gained this by passing part 30 right through the hole, this allowed the shaft to be raised a bit higher and the lever came off easily over the gearbox , at this point I had achieved my goal . As the gear change lever does far more work than the brake lever, most owners would not need to access the brake lever which is still imprisoned within the frame but if you do need to then slide part 30 off the shaft then jiggle part 29 complete with its two shafts upwards out of the frame .
David-Ian

davidian

Post by davidian »

Hi.
In my last post on this subject I had managed to remove the gear change lever, however I am now pondering whether to change the bush for a more modern plastic based material which is self lubricating so may be longer lasting or stick with the original bronze ones,do any owners have any experience of modern bushes ?
David Ian.

davidian

Post by davidian »

Having removed the shaft I discovered the bush/ bushes had received some "attention" in the past, namely they were split in the length , a thick layer of solder applied to the outside then re used? if the gear change shaft has two bushes then it could be possible with a bit of ingenuity to renew the bushes in situ without doing all the dismantling I did.
David Ian.