Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rocker Shaft (Daimler 15, 2166cc engine)

captain bobo

Rocker Shaft (Daimler 15, 2166cc engine)

Post by captain bobo »

One of the unfortunate consequences of dropping the rocker assembly when I removed it from the head is that I have no reference for the reassembly of the two halves of the shaft.

In the photos I show what I think the correct configuration is, namely the holes in the outer ends and the recesses where the two halves meet.

I have two questions. Firstly, is my assumption about the configuration correct? Secondly, do the recesses go on the top of the shaft or the bottom when I reassemble?

Any guidance will be, as usual, most gratefully received.
Attachments
IMG_20210721_135241.jpg
IMG_20210721_135202_3.jpg
IMG_20210721_135118.jpg
Best wishes, Dave B

frenchy

Re: Rocker Shaft (Daimler 15, 2166cc engine)

Post by frenchy »

Your assumption is correct. The recesses are either side of the shaft. They are location for the head studs. The ones on the ends will be on the off side ie manifold side. The centre and intermediate recesses will be on the near side. You can work out the location by looking at the holes for the studs and rocker posts in the cylinder head. I assembled mine and wired it together also using bolts through the rocker post to help keep it together. The tricky bit is the break in the centre. Slide the assembled shaft on to the studs and once you have located it lower it and the bolts push out.
It is all a bit of a fiddle but once you have tried it a few times you will get the hang of it. A word of advice take care and dont drop any thing .It could end up in the sump.
Good luck Frenchy

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Thanks Frenchy, really helpful. I've got the head off so I'll assemble the rocker shaft onto the head before putting the head back on the block - it's so easy for bits to fall down the push rod holes in the head and block!
Best wishes, Dave B

frenchy

Post by frenchy »

Hi Dave you will have to fit the cylinder head first as the rocker shaft locates on the studs. Assemble the shaft and put two short bolts in both end rocker posts so that will stay in place, ensure that all other posts are in the correct position. The main problem is the centre joint and this is why I wired the assembly to keep it together. Lower the whole assy and once the end post locate on the studs and all the intermediate posts are in the correct position it should lower in place and push out the temporary bolt. It is a tricks job but I repeat trial and error. Just try to ensure that it does not fly appart whilst fitting. Good luck Frenchy.

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

You're right of course Frenchy, senior moment on my part!
Best wishes, Dave B