Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest

digcot65

Daimler Conquest

Post by digcot65 »

Good morning,I`m in the process of buying a Daimler Conquest I`ve restored classics for years as a hobby but due to age,I thought it was time to buy one to keep I didn`t want a restoration project,but something to mess with and improve The car, bodywise, interior and mechanics seem fine,with a little work to improve it .The owner said that om a long steep climb,it tended to run hot which I believe is a common problem.I noticed that the Rad seems to need attention ,as there is a weep on the top and I think it would be better to have it re-cored. I am having the car in about 3 weeks,as I have to sell me present classic The reg number if anyone knows it,is VKH 455 Any advice from club members would be very welcome. Len

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Daimler Conquest

Post by John-B »

Conquests must be tough cars, see this topic http://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... onte+carlo about a member who completed the Monte Carlo Rally in one recently.

Have a good time with it.

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

A Conquest with a good radiator and water pump should not overheat. You might want to find out just how serious the overheating is.

One problem they do have is that the engine block around cylinders 5 & 6 (at the rear) gets very silted up, causing the back of the engine to get hot. I have this problem with mine. After a fast run or steep climb, if one stops it is possible to hear the water boiling at the back of the engine even though the water in the radiator is at the correct temperature. I have tried flushing mine with the propriety cleaners and by removing the core plugs , flushing with water and trying to dislodge the silt with a bent coat hanger. I got quite a lot of rubbish out but it still gets hot. I am now going to get the block chemically cleaned and rebuild the engine.

I don't have your Conquest in my current records but will look through the old paper records to see if there is anything mentioned.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

Morning,I was told there was a slight weep on the top of rad tank,which is just visible, .so I`ll remove it and have it reconditioned ,however before I remove the rad what is the best fluid to use,to give the engine block a good clear out .I could do this before removing the rad then there wont be a problem in harming the old rad.Len

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

A kilo of Citric Acid powder mixed with very hot water will work wonders and you will be amazed at how much "crud" it will shift.
Run the engine for a couple of hours with this in place and then flush out with lots of water.

if you are going to have the rad, recored do the flush prior to this as the muck dislodged will block the fine capillaries in it.

I have used this method on several engines and it works very well.

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

Morning I was thinking of doing it with the "old" rad in place I dont want to clog up the rad if re-cored.Thanks for the info.I`ll try the method you suggest Len

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

How much hot water to use I don`t want to dilute it too much Len

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Dissolve in 2 ltrs. of HOT water and then add to cooling system,Fill up cooling system with more water and then run engine up to working temperature.
Let it stand for two or three hours and then empty and flush system with lots of water.

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

Thanks best to get the mixture right Len

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, just wanted to add that as many of you will no doubt remember, I had the engine in my Lanchester Eleven
Re-bored and Re-Sleeved back in 2019, the company ( Cox & Turner Tintinhull nr Yeovil) chemically cleaned the Cylinder Block at the time, and what a difference that has made !!
She now runs cool, no overheating on hills, and I can now leave her “Ticking over” for an Hour if I should want to without any problems.
So in conclusion, if you about to have your engine overhauled, ensure that your “Preferred” reconditioning company are able to carry out this process .

Cheers Al 👍👍