Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest electrical ‘pull’ capacity

Robert Burns

Conquest electrical ‘pull’ capacity

Post by Robert Burns »

I would like to have a portable car mini fridge in my 1955 Conquest when we go gently touring next year.
The ‘pull’ from the electrics as best as I can understand is approx 32w and a max of 6amps …. Knowing next to nothing about electrics I wonder if anyone knows whether that is sustainable on a run (obviously I’ll disconnect when I stop so as not to drain the battery) but has the dynamo got the spare capacity for me to achieve this?
Thanks as always in anticipation
Robert

Garyhbates

Re: Conquest electrical ‘pull’ capacity

Post by Garyhbates »

Hi Robert, according to the manual the Conquest dynamo is rated at 19 amps. When the car is running i have noticed that it can pull about 4 or 5 amp just running the coil/points. The electrical system is so simple that i can't imagine any other drain other than the windscreen wipers and the heater fan but they don't amount to much. The lights are another story though , they are a very heavy drain. I would say that in theory you could just about manage the load in daytime driving but i would not want to risk loosing battery power during a long drive. Why not buy a separate 60Ah battery and charge it up off the AC each evening, that could work for 10 hours each day and not risk the car battery.
Last edited by Garyhbates on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Burns

Post by Robert Burns »

Thanks for that Gary
Would replacing all lights with leds (if indeed they are available) help do the trick.
My issue is that I will most likely be ‘away from home’ and not have AC available (think small cheap hotel in Normandy en route south) ... that might be a dream sequence, but you know what I mean 😜

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

You could carry a 60 ah battery and one of those small chargers (the Lidl ones are excellent) as a back up in case you run low on charge. You may also consider one of those small jump start thingies. That way if you have run your charge down without knowing and can’t start in the morning at least it will get you going.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

There is no need to invent grandiouse answers to a simple question by pandering to the wallet syndrome.

You have no problem whatsoever, although not using the fridge whilst you have the headllights and heater on etc. would help, dependant upon how good your battery is.

If you really want to be on the "safe side" - fit an electronic regulator - as Joe Lucas's mechanical one consumes almost as much amperage in operation than it provides to charge your battery!

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

The dynamo might just manage the increased load demanded for a portable fridge, but it would be a very good idea to fit a second 12v battery and connect it in parallel, i.e. positive to positive and negative to negative to your existing battery because that gives double the capacity. Replacing the Lucas regulator would be pointless because it consumes insignificant power draw. The alternative is to fit -oh my God! - an alternator.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Or fit a Dynator - an alternator in the dynamo body. Search online and you’ll find them £160 - although some are charging £400!
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Robert Burns

Post by Robert Burns »

I think mine is a C39 and the cheapest I can see is £400+ Graham
Rob

Robert Burns

Post by Robert Burns »

Could I naively ask:
Generally speaking what is the advantage or disadvantage of changing battery polarity ???
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
Best
Rob