Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

special sport brake cylinders

davidian

special sport brake cylinders

Post by davidian »

HI I am renewing the seals in my brake cylinders and am not sure of the orientation of the hat shaped piece that goes between seal and spring, on one cylinder the spring sits inside the hat with the top of the hat towards the seal but on the other one the spring presses against the top with the brim against the seal, which is correct? my instinct says the latter, the brim acting as a spreader.
Regards David Ian

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: special sport brake cylinders

Post by Db n j »

Ian, working from memory, I think the top hat sits inside the spring. Logically this centralised the spring and prevents the end from potentially getting under the seal.

(Sorry my spares are not near at hand)

davidian

Post by davidian »

Hi David , Thanks for the reply. It would appear that my car has suffered a make do and mend policy probably when it was in California . On one brake cylinder a spring sits inside the hat shaped piece and the brim faces the rear, on the other cylinder a larger diameter spring fits over the hat with the brim facing the front, both have functioned normally over the period I have owned the car but which one is correct, a bit of a mystery.
Regards David Ian.

davidian

Post by davidian »

Hi David , Thanks for the reply. It would appear that my car has suffered a make do and mend policy probably when it was in California . On one brake cylinder a spring sits inside the hat shaped piece and the brim faces the rear, on the other cylinder a larger diameter spring fits over the hat with the brim facing the front, both have functioned normally over the period I have owned the car but which one is correct, a bit of a mystery.
Regards David Ian.

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

I hesitate to offer yet another possibility, but this is what I found when I recently removed a cylinder from the backplate….[attachment=0]F35F55F5-8DB5-4D16-B87B-1A7487925F98.jpeg[/attachment
The seal was below the brass hat, but there was no spring under the seal. Cylinders were re-sleeved because the pistons was seized inside the cylinder when I bought the car in 2015, and I am assuming that Past Parts would have replaced any spring if originally fitted.
Attachments
F35F55F5-8DB5-4D16-B87B-1A7487925F98.jpeg

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Chris, interesting post.

I had mine recently refurbed at Past Parts. I sent them my best 2 units, which definitely had springs.

I have not taken them out of there bag, but will do before fitting.

Can’t think they were optional.

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Thanks David, fortunately the brakes seem to work fine, at least since I shortened the piston because one side was slightly sticky when shoes were coming off the drum see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6149.
Presumably, with a spring installed, the piston pops out ( followed by the seal and fluid) when the cylinder is unbolted ?
I’ll be interested to hear how davidian decided to rebuild his own cylinders.
Chris

davidian

Post by davidian »

Hi In the David Beales DB18 Manuel there is a sectional diagram of a front wheel ,hub and king pin which clearly shows a spring in the brake cylinder,on my own cylinders I decided that the smaller diameter spring sitting inside the hat was the correct one only because the larger spring appeared newer so was more recent , I hunted among my jar of old springs and found one which I was able to shorten to replace it , time will tell.
Regards David Ian