Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by Fossil »

Barrie

To follow up about the Dauphins, from the Hooper record book there were five altogether, the two original LJ250 prototype Lanchesters and three DJ256 Daimlers, all with Hooper body design no 8396. The two LJ250s had an early version of the Century engine with 92bhp and the three DJ256s were Mk I Century spec with 100bhp. In addition three 4 door DJ256 Empress style saloons (designs 8404/8404a) were made. The two Lanchester protypes were registered in May 1954, and the six DJ256 cars between 1954 and 56.

Curiously the Daimler Company were apparently not keen to create much attention for the Dauphin prototypes, it was said to be a means of keeping the Lanchester name alive, so it is perhaps no surprise that it didn't sell. But whatever the reason, only the second prototype, OVC444, was converted to Daimler form, for the Company General Manager R E Smith. NFS2 is the first of the three DJ256 Dauphins, and was never a Lanchester.

NBT600, the first of the two Lanchester prototypes that is now in San Diego, belongs to a Mr Morgan who found it in a scrapyard minus its engine, gearbox and rad grille in 1989. He rescued and restored it, finding the grille by complete chance, phew! But he was only able to find a strict Conquest, the engine of which completed it. The story is recounted in the DM of June 1992. It was on display in the San Diego Motor Museum for several years. He then did a huge amount of research into all eight Hooper Centuries, locating and contacting three of the other four Dauphins, OVC, NFS and another, LBR775, that belonged to a Mr Joe Dickerson in San Francisco, this may be the gentleman that you were in touch with?

Mr Morgan's contact details came with NFS in 1994 when I bought it and so I wrote to him, he's very enthusiastic! But he could only find one of the 4 door cars, PYM949, the last of the three that currently belongs to a DLOC member. The first of the four doors was a Royal Stock car until 1957, but has disappeared since being auctioned in London in 1986. It had foglamps fitted in to the front wings a la Conquest, and rectangular cabin air intakes fitted vertically. The fate of the second four door is unknown.

Mr Dickerson's Dauphin LBR775 was reimported to the UK in a poor state in 1995 and sold by a dealer to a lawyer in Eire whom I later managed to contact. It could be started and driven but had a cylinder head gasket issue, and it required complete restoration inside and out having suffered a lot from Californian sunshine. He had a collection of coachbuilt cars including some other Daimlers, none of which had been restored, nor did he appear interested in doing so, and we lost contact. But in 2012 LBR returned to the UK being advertised on eBay. I spread the word about it as far as I could, but there was no interest from the UK and it was bought by someone in eastern Europe (? Hungary) for £3,750. I've been waiting for news of it to resurface and wish that I'd bought it in 2012, of course. The fate of the third DJ256 Dauphin remains unknown.

NBT600 is a very desirable machine with that gorgeous Lanchester grille, and unlike the other Dauphins a bench rear seat! I visited the owner in San Diego in the mid 90s and the car was then in safe storage. I've remained in touch with him from time to time since, and as far as I know he still has it, it's probably time I emailed him again. Meanwhile if anyone is interested in acquiring a Hooper LJ/DJ, the 4 door example currently for sale is probably the best option at present. They don't come along very often and it is the first roadworthy example of the breed to become available in over 30 years. With a higher roof line it is likely to be a more comfortable vehicle than a Dauphin, particularly for rear seat passengers, and it seats 5, not just 4.

Regards

Geoff

Barrie

Re: Pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers

Post by Barrie »

Greetings to all readers for the merriest of Christmases and the happiest of New Years.
Geoff, thanks for your very detailed response and I am working on a reply.
B