Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA 10 Wiring and switch placement

Weealim

LA 10 Wiring and switch placement

Post by Weealim »

Good afternoon gentlemen, I am wondering if anyone can help me with the wiring routing and switch placement on my LA10. I inherited the car a few years ago and the remainder of the wiring loom was in a box. I have purchased a new loom from autosparks and I would appreciate any pictures or information regarding the correct routing of the loom and switches? Many thanks. Alan Morton.

Simon Hyslop

Re: LA 10 Wiring and switch placement

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Hello Alan. Good to know you're getting on with your car. I haven't been at many shows in recent times so I haven't seen you for a while. I rewired my 10 with an Autosparks loom about 8 years ago and it does fit although it was about a foot over length at both the engine end and the back end for the rear light(s).

Is your car about 1933, I think? If so, the regulator and fuse box will be on the passenger side of the engine compartment. That's probably a good place to start as you should have wires which go down the toeboard and towards the rear of the car, then part of the loom going to the dashboard and another part going to the engine - dynamo, coil and oil pressure switch. From the control box there will also be wires going to the headlamps and sidelamps, two blue (blue/white, blue/ red, possibly, if they are double dip) and red respectively.

Connect up the control box and the PLC switch on the dash at the same time. That way you can check that you have the main wiring in the right places and once you have the dynamo and coil connected too, essentially you have a car that should start and run so the rest becomes relatively straightforward to check. The dynamo wiring runs from the passenger side over the top of the timing case and is held in place by two clips.
DSC03076.JPG
I have tried to add a photo showing the passenger side completed. You can see the extra coil of wire I have tried to hide at the bottom. Let me know of anything specific you need pictures of or a description of. If we weren't all stuck at home I'd have said come and see it in the metal but it's not particularly difficult once you start.

Hope you have it ready for the road once we're all let out again.

Weealim

Post by Weealim »

Hi Simon, nice to hear from you again! Thanks for the prompt reply, I really appreciate it. You were correct about the year of my car and the location of the fuse box so I can get started. I assume the the harness runs right along the inside of the passenger side chassis rail and then crosses inside the front and rear crossmembers? The other information I could do with is the location of everything electrical inside the car, harness, switches on dashboard and start switch placement and dip beam switch. The floor and toe board were missing so I made new ones. It’s a blank canvas so any information or pictures are appreciated.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Dear Alan,

I have been out and taken some pictures. Firstly, the starter switch and dip switch location:
The one thing I would just say in passing is that I added a separate solenoid under the bonnet worked by the starter switch. I thought it better to have the main starter supply run to a more accessible place than the original switch as space is a bit tight there and it also means that you can start the engine readily from under the bonnet when working on it as it is a bit of a guddle to have to get in and get your foot onto the switch.

Next, the dashboard layout:
The one thing you don't see in this picture is the oil pressure light on the other side of the PLC switch, obscured by the steering wheel. The little turn switch below the inspection light sockets is for the dashboard lamps. The round item to the left of the central panel is an original cigar lighter.

I really need to get the car out to check the layout more accurately underneath as it's some time since I installed it, maybe later this week if the weather warms up a bit.
Attachments
DSC00157.JPG
DSC00159.JPG

Weealim

Post by Weealim »

Hi Simon, once again thank you so much for the information and pictures. I am able to start fitting the harness and really like the idea of having the solenoid outside the bulkhead! Hope you’re all safe and well. Alan Morton.