Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Ignition TDC Forteen/Leda

andywen8156

Ignition TDC Forteen/Leda

Post by andywen8156 »

Hi I have searched the forum but not found any info about the tdc marks. The only information I have is the tdc mark is on the flywheel inspection cover? only I want to set the ignition timing thanks :? :?

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Ignition TDC Forteen/Leda

Post by migray »

The timing mark is on the fluid flywheel with a reference mark on the bell housing visible from inside the car. When I say visible it is actually almost impossible to see. The mark is on the edge of the flywheel so it doesn't even face the opening, and it is etched in so it is very hard to see. I spent ages looking without success, it was only when I removed the gearbox and cleaned the rim of the flywheel that I could see the marks (TDC and IGN). I then put some white paint around the edge of the flywheel to make it more visible in situ. The attached picture from the conquest manual shows the arrangement but it is not clear like that. However the position of the flywheel filler relative to the timing mark is correct and helps locate the marks.
Good luck.
Attachments
timing.JPG

andywen8156

Post by andywen8156 »

Many thanks for the info oh dear! lucky maybe? I have the floor cover panel covering the flywheel panel off will have an inspection. Thank you so much for the picture and info rgds Andy
:D :D :D

Graham

Post by Graham »

I have a lj200 and tried setting the timing via the marks. I gave up in the end, my friend Neil who is on this site told me the best way and that is to slacken off the collar on the distributor and rotate it gradually until you find the sweet spot. The marks are ok for a rough guide, but not for the best setting, due to lead free petrol etc, lining up the marks didn’t work for me.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I’ve just done exactly that on my DB18. If we could I’d now take it to a local hill where I time my ascent, adjust the timing and go round again until I get the best time.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Graham

Post by Graham »

I know what you mean, I’ve had my radiator re cored and need to get it on a run to see if it’s cured my over heating problems

andywen8156

Post by andywen8156 »

Many Thanks Graham will have a go at that once the 14 is useable have to replace the exhaust but stainless steel one is too expensive so guess will make it up with parts from ebay in hope!. I had overheating too just replaced the head gasket and had the head skimmed (£52 skim from my local engineering works called Pook in Tiverton Devon) good luck! :) :) :)

chrisjb

Post by chrisjb »

I have been looking at ignition timing for my 1933 LA10 which suggests about 60 deg BTDC. 60 is not a typo! I have looked at other Lanchesters and I am surprised at the apparent lack of continuity.
Roadrider 14 8 deg, 10 and 11 1936 - 39 10 deg, 'later' 10 'near' TDC, 15/18 6" on the flywheel- similar to the LA10, 14 de lux 6 deg.
Kevin who is restoring a LA10 also said that he usually set the distributor for the smoothest running, so I will try it. My LA10 struggles above 40mph. If I apply more throttle it pinks. Instructions for one model suggests putting the handbrake on (I would use some chocks too), engaging top gear and flooring the throttle. It should just start pinking. Worth a try. I (and the previous owner) never did find any marks for timing either in the car or behind the little plate in the engine bay. 23 deg is stamped on the bob weights under the distributor base plate. That's a lot.
The top gear test might be useful if we can't get out and about. Don't do it for too long of course.
Chris

Graham

Post by Graham »

Andy, I managed to get a new complete exhaust system from John Nash. Otherwise I was going to go down the route of using Land Rover boxes as they look similar and are cheap . Good luck

andywen8156

Post by andywen8156 »

Thanks Graham I have managed to get some exhaust bits from Ebay two stainless steel flexible pipes along with new muffler yet to fix it all up with clamps