Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LD10 Barker aluminium query

John-B
Site Admin

LD10 Barker aluminium query

Post by John-B »

Hello Administrator,

The following is an e-mail sent to you through the administration contact page on "".

The message was sent from a guest who specified the following contact
information:
Name: Mike Arthur

Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am interested in an LD10 claimed to be a 1951 model and will try to get the engine and chassis nos. Meantime could you please tell me where aluminium was used in the Barker built bodies, Many thanks, stay safe, Regards Mike

Simon Hyslop

Re: LD10 Barker aluminium query

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Just been out with a big magnet :

Steel : All 4 wings, bonnet, bonnet sides, scuttle up to 1/2 way up the windscreen, sills.
Aluminium : Roof, doors, boot lid.

triddell

Post by triddell »

There's a really useful website http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk/index_2.htm which has a page that specifies which body parts on the Barker LD10 are aluminium and which body parts are steel. Has lots of other useful hints about mechanical parts and repairs
Tom

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Hello Administrator,

The following is an e-mail sent to you through the administration contact page on "".

information:

RE: Barker & Aluminum.
Very many thanks to John B and Simon Hyslop for your trouble and timely response.
Hoping to be able to travel in the next few days and will check out the vehicle.
Cheers
Mike

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Hello Administrator,

information:

The present seller of this LD10 has provided a chassis No but no engine No.

The Chassis No is L 63429 with a black exterior. Claimed to have no rust but it does appear to have been unloved for many years.
Wheels turn freely and motor runs but is not licenced to drive. Worth further investigation? maybe>

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

It’s not been on the roads for sometime as I maintain a list of all known cars and this chassis number is unknown to me is there any photos or more detail
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Adrian Hanwell

Post by Adrian Hanwell »

Dear All.
..... The answers already given to this question are absolutely correct, except for the bonnet. most of the barker bonnets which I have seen are steel, but a number of owners have insisted that their car has an aluminium bonnet. I therefore have to assume that at least one batch of aluminium bonnets did get made and fitted.
..... I still have lots of L.D.10. parts including front coil springs, but half are still in Brentwood and the other half are in a garage about a mile away from me in Scarborough. It may take me some considerable amount of time to find anything that you need. Headlamps, Pass-lamps for Briggs cars, 8" fog-lamps for Barker cars, brand new tool-bags (to contain the tool roll, oil and grease guns and the jack etc), brake shoes, some brake linings and radiators are stashed in my attic, so those are easier for me to find. My contact details are in the Driving Member magazine "officials page". I an afraid that I very rarely use the forum, but am always available via email.
Take care, stay safe and keep well.
Best Wishes from Adrian.
---------- ********** ----------
Adrian Hanwell
---------- ********** ----------