Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

What colour is black

sp250boy

What colour is black

Post by sp250boy »

Guys,
I need to paint Wilma after many months of removing old paint and getting her fully prepared. I need to order 2K acrylic black paint. Is there a pantone, BS or RAL reference number for the original Lanchester black?

thanks for your reply
It is a Lanchester

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: What colour is black

Post by grahamemmett »

There’s no official colour reference.
The factory used highly descriptive words like black, blue and green. Shades with names came later.
Use one you like.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

JT7196 Alan had a long search for the correct black for his LA11, so ask him. He mentioned Taxi black but I'm not sure if that was what he used.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, yes I did attempt to get some more PPG Taxi Black in Cellulose, but this proved impossible to find, probably because it was last produced, about 30 yrs ago 😂😂!
As the original Cellulose paint had started to crack( probably due to under bonnet heat build up ) I decided to have them stripped and re-sprayed with Two Pack, which was the only real option.
I will contact the Body Shop and find out the paint details for you.
Just need to add, that it matched the rest of the cellulose perfectly, those who know me well, will appreciate how “Picky” I am ! !!!!!!!😂😂😂
Cheers Al 😊😊😊

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Al,
I sprayed Wilma about a month ago with 2K high build primer. At the same time I ordered 2k black paint. I opened the box yesterday and they have sent me 2 part black epoxy paint... Oh well at least I have 5 litres of garage floor paint to use.

Alternatively I was thinking of using the paint to protect the spare Lanchester LA11 chassis that I have.

I'm not sure that Jawels paint has many choices for 2k black paint, looking at the Pantone/BS colour reference chart.

Any advise gratefully rec'd as I want to get Wilma sprayed next weekend :D
It is a Lanchester

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I'll have a look on the tin up the shed which is supposed to be taxi black.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I got my RAL numbers totally mixed up yesterday, when I looked at Google the number I had put was a purple colour! I should know by now not to rely on my memory.

Anyway the Ral number for black is 9005.
IMG_3583.JPG
Regards Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"