Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fuel Pump for LA10

lilykill

Fuel Pump for LA10

Post by lilykill »

Hi all,
Looking for AC fuel pump for a LA10, have looked on the sales page and cannot see anything current so thought I would post here.

Are there any bolt in alternatives or the same version of that pump that on used on other vehicles that I can also search to find one.

Thanks in advance.

Simon Hyslop

Re: Fuel Pump for LA10

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The pump itself is a standard AC fuel pump, my car having a Type T but I suspect that they were probably fitted with a slightly earlier now defunct model. The parts lists don't help much as they list the pump as a PE 732 or 768, the later list only saying PE768. The pump pressure is only 2 1/4 pounds so there's no point in going overboard with some supposed super duper over pressured item.
I spotted that someone had removed it on your car, presumably fitting an SU instead. Assuming they are missing, the biggest difficulty is in finding the little push rod that works off the camshaft and the interchangeable part in the pump which connects with it.
The T type pumps are otherwide interchangeable but these two specific parts are, to the best of my knowledge, unique to this general period of Daimler/Lanchester application. It might be worth posting this request in "Parts Wanted".

There are conflicting views as to whether to stick with the mechanical pump or have a non original electric one. It might be best to stick with whatever alternative arrangement you have, assuming it works, until a replacement turns up. As you'll have spotted, your pump would have the fittings on a diagonal. There are two types of two bolt fitting for these AC pumps, one with two bolts horizontal and one with them on the diagonal. Just watch if buying a pump specifically for its lower half that it is the type you need. If you find a lower half that is suitable for your car, buying a new Delphi pump of the same general arrangement will mean that you can fit its top part complete and eliminate poor connection threads and a stripped top cover bolt which is the main weakness of these. You can also use the new diaphragm from the lower half which will be compatible with modern fuels. The only thing to watch is that the angle between the inlet and outlet is suitable although its actual position is easily adjusted by repositioning it on the base. It is pretty essential to have one with a hand primer, it will save a lot of effort.

lilykill

Post by lilykill »

Simon Hyslop wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:57 am The pump itself is a standard AC fuel pump, my car having a Type T but I suspect that they were probably fitted with a slightly earlier now defunct model. The parts lists don't help much as they list the pump as a PE 732 or 768, the later list only saying PE768. The pump pressure is only 2 1/4 pounds so there's no point in going overboard with some supposed super duper over pressured item.
I spotted that someone had removed it on your car, presumably fitting an SU instead. Assuming they are missing, the biggest difficulty is in finding the little push rod that works off the camshaft and the interchangeable part in the pump which connects with it.
The T type pumps are otherwide interchangeable but these two specific parts are, to the best of my knowledge, unique to this general period of Daimler/Lanchester application. It might be worth posting this request in "Parts Wanted".

There are conflicting views as to whether to stick with the mechanical pump or have a non original electric one. It might be best to stick with whatever alternative arrangement you have, assuming it works, until a replacement turns up. As you'll have spotted, your pump would have the fittings on a diagonal. There are two types of two bolt fitting for these AC pumps, one with two bolts horizontal and one with them on the diagonal. Just watch if buying a pump specifically for its lower half that it is the type you need. If you find a lower half that is suitable for your car, buying a new Delphi pump of the same general arrangement will mean that you can fit its top part complete and eliminate poor connection threads and a stripped top cover bolt which is the main weakness of these. You can also use the new diaphragm from the lower half which will be compatible with modern fuels. The only thing to watch is that the angle between the inlet and outlet is suitable although its actual position is easily adjusted by repositioning it on the base. It is pretty essential to have one with a hand primer, it will save a lot of effort.
Hi Simon,

Coming to my aid again, thank you. Yes when trying to find a similar shape and flange bolting pattern there is only a few I can find and even then the lever arm is in the wrong orientation. Ideally I would like an original pump but yes know knowing the pump pressure getting a simple inline static pressure pump would simplify it for the moment.

An additional question about the AC pump as I have mainly used SU's. So concerning the base of the AC pump that is bolted to the engine, are the arms interchangeable if I was to get a correct flange pattern base and change the arm to fit a standard LA10 lever arm in?. If they are not interchangeable could buying a pump with the correct bolting pattern but then modifying the lever arm to the same length and angle from horizontal (I measured it to be roughly -16 degrees) to be driven from the cam shaft lobe work?

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Some of the arms are interchangeable. It depends on the age and design of the pump. The older pumps have a shaft which is held in place by two tiny circlips. Remove (carefully) one circlip, knock the pin out and the arm should come away. The arms are hardened assemblies and are good for around 100,000 miles or more. They do show wear but no firm ever took on the making of replacement arms in the UK as a solo item for any make so that indicates the lack of demand, probably because replacement pumps were so cheap for so long. It's a specific part I would have thought would have been in the top 20 of unavailable LA10/Daimler 15 mechanical items but as the easy way out is to fit an electric pump instead, I suppose that's why no-one has bothered - so far.

Just as a footnote to the above, the following link is to a firm in the USA who sell useful stuff and they are one of the few who list a new pump arm for something, in this case a Packard.

https://straight-eight.com/product/1931 ... -pump-rod/