Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Starter motor

sp250boy

Starter motor

Post by sp250boy »

Gent's
My starter motor seems very slow and intermittent at times. I have taken it out of the car and the bushes seem to have some life in them. I know the starter motors don't turn the engine over that fast.

Just wondering if I should get it refurbished or replace it.

Any advise gratefully rec'd
It is a Lanchester

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Starter motor

Post by NickDeAth »

There could be a number of reasons why a starter is slow. It might be worth having it tested to eliminate any fault with the starter. You could look for a local auto electrical repairer or I can recommend Broadway Electrical Services in Grays Essex. A couple of their original engineers worked for Lucas and were trained technicians. Sadly at least one of them has passed away, but the good news is he trained the others that work there.

I have no connection with Broadway only that I know they do first class work.

Regards Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Try the basics first.
Are the brushes OK. They want to be longer than they are wide.
Give the armature a really good polish with Emery cloth. That’s a common fault.
Check the connection are well cleaned up, both earth and supply to both starter and solenoid.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve, well that’s an amazing coincidence ! !!!
The Starter Motor on my Eleven has also just “failed”, only in my case, it was the Post that holds the Spring against the Commutator that had broken , have taken it to my local Electrical repair shop ( Carwood of Yeovil) .
On inspection, it would appear that the Commutator, is also worn down to near it’s limit and a lot of the Insulation is also in a perilous state, so I have had to “ Bite the Bullet” and have it reconditioned, not a cheap job at circa £450 !!
Hope your’s is not in the same condition mate 👍👍👍
Cheers Al 👍👍