Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Electronic Ignition

sp250boy

Electronic Ignition

Post by sp250boy »

Guys,
I want to fit an electronic Ignition to replace my points...

Any suggestions what others have fitted?
1939 Lanchester LA11 Positive earth.

Thanks in advance.
It is a Lanchester

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by A.N.Other »

Not my choice, but each to their own. The pros and cons have been covered on the forum before and I think the different types have as well. Which ever you pick there is one thing you should also consider and that is your voltage regulator and it’s condition. If it’s not in good order then it can burn out the system you select and then render you incapacitated at the side of the road.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

My voltage regulator has been replaced with a solid state one from Voltage regulator and dynamo conversions.
I will speak to Peter and seek his comments..
It is a Lanchester

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi, I got mine from the Distributor Doctor. http://www.distributordoctor.com/
If you give them details of your distributor they will advise. Regards, Ranald

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Peter and the Distributor Doctor are the same, username BeezaDaimler on this forum. I had my Dart's positive earth regulator converted and it's been no trouble.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Martin Jay runs Distributor Doctor. Peter's company is CDRC Ltd. I'm pretty sure there is no connection. I've been very happy with both companies. Regards, Ranald

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

ranald wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:21 pm Martin Jay runs Distributor Doctor. Peter's company is CDRC Ltd. I'm pretty sure there is no connection. I've been very happy with both companies. Regards, Ranald
You're right. I was thinking of Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions CDRC, as you say, but he might also help.

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi
fitted a electronic ignition Pertronix and can't get it to work.

Coil + connected to positive earth battery terminal..

Coil negative connected to ( Ignition module via wire 20 which is connected to the ignition switch..

Any suggestions how I could test or check that I have connected things correctly?

Many thanks
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve , I always recon, that if it ‘Aint Broke” don’t try and fix it, my “ Eleven” has been running on CB points etc, for nigh on 30 years and never had a problem .
Cheers Alm👍👍

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

I confess I’m mystified exactly why electronic ignition seems to be the holy grail! The original ignition system works perfectly well and unless owners have a problem with cleaning points occasionally and replacing them every 10000 miles then why change? Digressing - but on a similar issue - another holy grail is the fitting of inline fuel filters...why, for goodness sake?
I suppose the foregoing makes me a reactionary old curmudgeon, but...
Steve (AKA the old git).