Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA10 Radiator brackets

lilykill

LA10 Radiator brackets

Post by lilykill »

Does anyone have an image of what the top of the radiator on a 33 LA10 is supposed to look like as whatever was brazed to the top of mine has been removed.
Attachments
20210531_081113.jpg

Rolf B.

Re: LA10 Radiator brackets

Post by Rolf B. »

I believe the radiator of your 1933 LA10 is the same as in my 1933 Daimler 15. And where the solder spots on your radiator top are, there's nothing fixed. Over the top of the radiator there's just a large cover bracket from the left to the right, which fixes the radiator to the chromed radiator mask. To stabilise the radiator in general and there's another attaching point at the rear of the radaitor top which can be seen at the left side of your photo. At this you have to fix the bar, which connects the radiator to the bulkhead.

Maybe there was a fixing for the butterfly bonnet while my 15 has a crocodile hood. But I can't believe there was something originally attached directly to the radiator top tank.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I'd just gone out to take some pictures and I thought I remembered some kind of bracket for the tie rods but then remembered it wasn't on the Lanchesters but on an RM Riley. However, what it looks like it has been is where the "top hat" bracket has been brazed to the top of the radiator holding on the shell and hinge. Here are the pictures :

First, 1934 10 :
DSC00559.JPG
late 1932 10 :
DSC00560.JPG
At first I thought the brazing marks weren't in the right position but now I've looked again they seem to be where they should be, maybe someone had tried to re-braze them on a bit untidily?

As you'll see from the pictures, the detail is different on the two 10s yet, as we see often, the details differ substantially from one season's models to another. The stores must have had a job keeping up with all these minor changes!

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

My LA10 Is 1936 and was original when got it. Itis not the same now, but the mountings on the rad are not altered.
Here is a picture
Last edited by lomh 13 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
What looks right is right

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Yes, your picture clearly shows that the arrangement for the three section bonnet is completely different again with the central tie rod being deleted and two angled rods at the sides instead. Also, the radiator top tank sits much lower in relation to the top of the radiator shell.