Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Removing LD10 shock absorber links

mikemillen

Removing LD10 shock absorber links

Post by mikemillen »

I have spent all day trying (and failing) to remove the rear shock absorbers on my LD10.
The problem is that when I turn the castellated nuts on the vertical link, the shafts turn inside the rubber bushes instead of unscrewing.
Before anyone asks, yes... the split pins are out. :-)

I was hoping there'd be some flats on the shaft the other side of the arm that would allow me to stop the shaft from turning, but it's round.
There's barely an 1/8" of shaft protruding from the rubber on the far side of the bush... not enough to get a grip on.

What's the technique?
Do I spray the rubber bushes with soapy water and try and pull the link off the shafts?

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Removing LD10 shock absorber links

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, yes you could also try WD40 etc,

Cheers Al

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

JT7196 wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:44 pm Hi, yes you could also try WD40 etc,

Cheers Al
I'm always wary of using WD40 or oils around rubber in case it affects it.
I might try to force some brake fluid in, though... that should be OK with rubber.

I take it that the pins aren't bonded to the rubber, then... it's OK to pull the links off the pins? (if I can manage it!)
Is that also the case for the front links and anti-roll bar links, too? (not bonded)

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

I note that you asked if the Pins are Bonded to the Rubber, we in theory the answer is no .
But, as Ive seen some of mine gradually moving out of the Rubber Bush, before pressing them back in, I coated the Pin with Super Glue , and it seems to work very well . .............Just a thought ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Cheers Al๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

JT7196 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:07 pm I note that you asked if the Pins are Bonded to the Rubber, we in theory the answer is no .
But, as Ive seen some of mine gradually moving out of the Rubber Bush, before pressing them back in, I coated the Pin with Super Glue , and it seems to work very well . .............Just a thought ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Cheers Al๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
That's a good idea!
Well... good until they need to be dismantled again. :-)

I'd have to restrict myself to soapy water to remove the pins, though... any oil on the rubber will put paid to the superglue option.