Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA10 Wiper Motor identification

lilykill

LA10 Wiper Motor identification

Post by lilykill »

Wanting to know what the make and model of the wiper motor is for a 1933 LA10?, I thought the spares catalog would have it but cannot see anything detailed. I have seen a few online that look like they might work but not 100% sure as I never had one to begin with.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Simon Hyslop

Re: LA10 Wiper Motor identification

Post by Simon Hyslop »

If you want it 100% original then you want a 12 volt Lucas MT7 motor. Just make sure it's a 12 volt one as most are 6 volt as they were used on Austin 7s. That's the original part. However, they aren't always the most powerful of motors and the "spin to start" mechanism doesn't always work the best. They can be replaced by the slightly later CWX type but it is maybe worth reading what Vintage Supplies say about their new manufacture type compared with the originals :

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produ ... s-cwx-type

They also make some cheaper units one of which isn't a million miles away from the general "look" of the MT7, albeit with a plastic finish. If you manage to make your car very close to as original then maybe it's worth having an MT7 rebuilt to as good a condition as possible. However, if you want a level of reliability then the wiper motor is an area where a reliable modern unit is not a bad thing to have. The water clearing properties of the new manufacture rubber squeegees are not particularly good, in fact I was looking at a pair of original 1930s ones last night and they are over double the width and depth of the new ones. Of course, it also depends on what the weather is like in your part of the country and what you intend using the car for but until you are out in decent rain on a road with an old car you don't realise how amazingly good modern wipers are compared with their predecessors.

lilykill

Re: LA10 Wiper Motor identification

Post by lilykill »

Simon Hyslop wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:01 pm If you want it 100% original then you want a 12 volt Lucas MT7 motor. Just make sure it's a 12 volt one as most are 6 volt as they were used on Austin 7s. That's the original part. However, they aren't always the most powerful of motors and the "spin to start" mechanism doesn't always work the best. They can be replaced by the slightly later CWX type but it is maybe worth reading what Vintage Supplies say about their new manufacture type compared with the originals :

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produ ... s-cwx-type

They also make some cheaper units one of which isn't a million miles away from the general "look" of the MT7, albeit with a plastic finish. If you manage to make your car very close to as original then maybe it's worth having an MT7 rebuilt to as good a condition as possible. However, if you want a level of reliability then the wiper motor is an area where a reliable modern unit is not a bad thing to have. The water clearing properties of the new manufacture rubber squeegees are not particularly good, in fact I was looking at a pair of original 1930s ones last night and they are over double the width and depth of the new ones. Of course, it also depends on what the weather is like in your part of the country and what you intend using the car for but until you are out in decent rain on a road with an old car you don't realise how amazingly good modern wipers are compared with their predecessors.
Thats great simon thanks for the help once again. One of the ones I was looking at was the MT7 so I wasnt far off getting the right one. I'll see what I can find.
I'm not planning to drive in the rain if I can help if but I agree a good motor and wipers will make it a lot easier if it happens.