Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA11 Differential strip and rebuild info wanted

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

LA11 Differential strip and rebuild info wanted

Post by JT7196 »

Hi chaps, I have a spare LA11 Eleven Differential that I intend to strip, and rebuild with a new Worm and Wheel etc ,
Iโ€™m hoping to draw experience from others who have already taken this rebuild on in the past.
Mainly the correct way to dismantle and rebuild the unit ,including any โ€œ Pitfallsโ€ that I may come across
, my intention is to fit this into my Lanchester ,as the original differential has seen better days !

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: LA11 Differential strip and rebuild info wanted

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, has nobody undertaken this โ€œ exerciseโ€ then ???? ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Hello Al. I was presuming that you have the info in Volume 3 of Newnes' Motor Repair ? If not, I'll scan it and put it on here but there's not a huge amount to it (well, so it says....)

"The adjustment of the worm wheel is by means of sleeves. In fitting a new worm wheel, straps are placed over the axle tube studs and tightened or let off until the worm wheel is correctly positioned (SH - there's a diagram that shows how much easier than I could describe) The amount of sleeve then projecting beyond the joint face is then measured and the sleeves adjusted until the ends are just flush with the joint face."

Apart from that, there's no other adjustment and it implies that dismantling is very straightforward; well, it was in 1948....

I'll scan the two pages later if you don't have them but can't do so just this minute!

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, well Iโ€™m very embarrassed to admit, that I have those Newnes books in my garage, never gave them a thought actually ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
That was very kind of you to offer to scan yours for me though, ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ, think that Iโ€™ve got some โ€œSwattingโ€ to do after dinner today, donโ€™t you ????๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
It should be an interesting โ€œ Projectโ€ if nothing else, I do have a spare Diff in my garage, and the โ€œ Planโ€ is to strip and re- build with the new old stock parts, that I have in my โ€œ Parts Bin โ€œ then eventually, remove the existing Diff in my car and fit the reconditioned unit ,just hope that I get it right ! !
Iโ€™ll attempt to do a write-up accompanied by pictures and put it on here, just hope that it not beyond my skills scope !!
Best wishes and again, many thanks. al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Have to add, that Iโ€™m amazed that it appears that nobody on here has done this before ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ‘

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, well having read and re- read the section on rebuilding the Diff, Iโ€™m still at a loss to understand the part that states โ€œ If fitting a new Worm Wheel, Straps are placed over the Axle -Tube studs and tightened or let off until the Worm is correctly positioned etc.
I hopefully will understand more when I carefully strip my spare Diff ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
Cheers Al

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

As I have no idea on how to do that on mine, it will be very interesting for me. I stay tuned.
Robert
What looks right is right

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, I intend to clean the โ€œDonor โ€œ Diff this morning and strip it next Wednesday, Simon Rooms has kindly offered to help, as he also owns an LA11, as the saying goes โ€œTwo Heads are better the Oneโ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi chaps, well I cleaned out the Diff of all the old dirty Oil etc, in preparation for Simon and I to do the Strip and re- build, the first problem was that we were unable to undo the castellated Nut that holds the Drive Flange on, even with Simonโ€™s full weight ( Sorry Simon ๐Ÿ˜‚) and a 2 ft long wrecking bar, it simply refused to budge, so next I heated it up using my Gas Blow Lamp, still it refused, so at that point we gave up !
Simon, has since taken it back to his home and tried using a 1/2 inch drive Impact Gun, still no joy ! Next plan , go borrow a 3/4 inch commercial gun , that did it๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Having examined the โ€œ Donorโ€ Diff, and in view of the fact that there is only very minimal โ€œ Backlashโ€ between the Worm and Wheel Teeth, we have made the joint decision to only fit a new Lip Seal behind the Drive Flange, and fit it into my car as is .
If all is well, then I will strip and rebuild the Diff presently in my Lanchester with the new parts, to keep as a spare.

Cheers Al

Ps Hopefully do a write up when overhauling the other Differential .๐Ÿ‘