Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LD10 fuel pump priming lever

mikemillen

LD10 fuel pump priming lever

Post by mikemillen »

The hand-priming lever on my LD10 fuel pump has a lot of free movement and the diaphragm is only moved at the very end of its travel.
Intuition tells me that it's badly worn and shouldn't have any free play, but I have no experience of the AC Delco pump... maybe it's deliberate?

Can anyone confirm whether the lever starts working as soon as it's moved from the horizontal or does nothing happen until almost the end of its stroke?
(I realise that the engine must be turned over until the cam isn't operating the lever, otherwise the diaphragm will already be part pulled down.)

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: LD10 fuel pump priming lever

Post by NickDeAth »

Have you tried turning the engine over a quarter or half a turn? It could be that the camshaft is in a position where it will only allow the pump to work at the end of its stroke.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

NickDeAth wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:06 pm Have you tried turning the engine over a quarter or half a turn? It could be that the camshaft is in a position where it will only allow the pump to work at the end of its stroke.
Nick
I've had the pump off the engine and verified the free movement of the arm before it begins to move the diaphragm rod... it's nearly all of its travel. :-(

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Unfortunately, the hand-priming arm is rivetted at each end of its spindle and not removeable. The play is between the arm and the spindle.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

To wrap up this thread...

By going through all the pictures of mechanical pumps for sale on Ebay I found a number of pumps for other vehicles that used the same lower aluminium casting as the type T.
I bought a type U pump intended for an Austin/Morris commercial vehicle with a suitable lower casting, swapped the Lanchester arm and the upper section of tmy pump and now I have an as-new pump with a fully-functional priming lever.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

^ that is impressive research