Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lucas 464A - best interior reflector colour?

tpickering

Re: Lucas 464A - best interior reflector colour?

Post by tpickering »

Great day here in WA Peter
Bright and sunny and 18 degrees :D

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour »

Haven't had time to wire these up yet, hoping to do that this weekend. Have had enough time to paint one of them with mirror chrome enamel. It's a marked difference between the two, as you can see above. However, this is with light shining from outside in, rather than light shining from inside out so all I can really say so far is that the chrome is much better at making the reflector parts of the light lenses work than the factory flat white.

It's possibly also worth noting that the car did come to us with mismatched rear lenses, two as above, and one that had vertical ribbed glass with no in built reflector. The assumption here is that the ribbed lens is the original since the car has auxilliary reflectors screwed onto the bootlid and these non-ribbed lenses are a later replacement. We'll be using the later lenses as they're in better condition and it's no bad thing having extra reflectors on the back.

In the interest of fairness, I took two photographs with the light units swapped so its clear that it's not a trick of the light direction on them that's causing one to look brighter. It's interesting that the factory flat white interior makes the lens reflect more light back while the chrome interior doesn't, I'm not really sure why that would be since both lenses are identical. I've also thoroughly cleaned both units since the first photos were taken and they came up remarkably well, they'll end up showing up the rest of the car!

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Maybe swap the lenses over as well ?

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour »

I did think of that and tried it off camera, the result is the same which is why I didn't photograph it.