Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LD10 boot lid

mikemillen

LD10 boot lid

Post by mikemillen »

My Briggs-bodied LD10 has a piece of fluted rubber matting covering the inside of the boot lid, over the plywood insert, fixed with self-tapping screws around the edge.
It also has matching piece of rubber matting covering the floor of the boot.

I suspect that they're a later addition... did the car originally have the plywood insert in the lid and boot floor exposed?

Vulgalour

Re: LD10 boot lid

Post by Vulgalour »

Do you mean like this?

If the screws are big flat headed ones with cup washers, that will also be the same as the boot above, which is in my Barker bodied example. As I understand it, that's the usual way of doing the boot on cars of this period, spare wheel and tools live under the shelf, and the fluted rubber mat prevents whatever you put in the boot from sliding about.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Yes, the rubber mats in mine are exactly the same.
The question is... did it leave the factory like that?
I suspect not.

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour »

I had misread the question the first time, but I revisited and have since been trying to find any images of the Briggs boot interior to see if there were variations. It's not part of the car that's easy to find pictures of, probably because it's not an attractive or interesting bit. However, it does seem to be normal in the shots I have found on the Briggs for a fluted rubber cover to be on the inside of the lid, screwed down to keep it in place. The two following pictures are of two different cars.

It doesn't seem that far fetched that the interior of the boot lid would have plywood with the rubber matting over it, after all you'd want to protect the paint when sliding things along it into the boot or resting them on the lid so you'd expect there to be something there to protect against dents and scratches.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Thanks for that, Vulgalour.

That looks exactly like mine, as as that makes 3 Briggs cars that have that matting I'll assume it's correct and replace mine with the same material.