Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA10 starter button isolating material

lilykill

LA10 starter button isolating material

Post by lilykill »

Looking to identify what the material is used as an insulator for the starter button, I've highlighted it in red.
To me it looks like a thin leather but not sure.
Attachments
20210704_085401.jpg

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: LA10 starter button isolating material

Post by JT7196 »

Hi ,I expect you could get some from an electrical overhaul business .

Cheers Almxx

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: LA10 starter button isolating material

Post by HenryC »

I suspect this is more of a physical barrier than an electrical isolation, probably intend to stop accidental shorting out of the terminals with a spanner or anything else metal that came into contact with the terminals.

Together with the rubber boots, probably a bit perished now, this strip would have provided reasonable reassurance again accidental shorting out. Remember one terminal is always live and capable of providing a high current supply with a potential fire risk.

More modern (solenoid) versions have a raised Bakelite barrier between the terminals I expect you could replace the strip with any flexible (heat resistant) non conducting material, maybe even a strip of gasket material (non-conducting), or leather as you suggest.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252