Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rear hub oil seal.

Isadora1936

Rear hub oil seal.

Post by Isadora1936 »

Hello all,

I've just noticed oil running down the inside of the o/s rear wheel on my 1936 Lanchester 14 roadrider. I'm assuming that this is the hub oil seal,
any ideas and is this a difficult job to tackle?
I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks, Frank.

tpickering

Re: Rear hub oil seal.

Post by tpickering »

Hi Frank
Have you also checked that your differential breather is not blocked? as this can cause oil leaks.
As the diff. heats up in use the expanding air inside should vent through the breather.If this is blocked by mud etc.the increased pressure will push oil past the seales.
Remove the breather from the diff. and give it a good clean and this may solve your problem but it may be that your seals do need changing.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Frank,

we have had the same leaking problem at the rear axle of our 1933 Daimler 15. The reason were the old pre war felt sealing rings. We changed these against modern rotary sealing shaft rings and since then there's no more leaking and no more oily brake shoes and brake drums.

Regards
Rolf

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

Thanks for your input, I need to investigate a bit further as the car has been nowhere recently and the leak seems to have appeared since I rolled it back a couple of feet in the garage to give me some space and then rolled it forward again.

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

Rolf B. wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:19 am Hello Frank,

we have had the same leaking problem at the rear axle of our 1933 Daimler 15. The reason were the old pre war felt sealing rings. We changed these against modern rotary sealing shaft rings and since then there's no more leaking and no more oily brake shoes and brake drums.

Regards
Rolf
Hello, can you tell me more about this modification ?

How do you that and have you some pictures ?
Robert
What looks right is right

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello lomh,

to change the "Axle Driving Shaft Felt Washer" and the "Retainer" (cup) against modern rotary sealing shaft rings was a really easy job. You've to detach the felt washer and the cup out of the seat and to change it by the sealing shaft ring, placed directly into the seat. The replacement has the size 44-60-10 Type A FPM and we bought it here:
https://www.hug-technik.com/shop/produc ... info=p9899

Unfortunatelly we didn't make photos of this job because it was an easy one. But we changed all the felt sealings at the axle tubes, rear axle casing, steering drop arm, front engine cover and so on against the modern types. At the steering drop arm it was necessary to grind the seat a liitle deeper and at the front engine cover it was necessary to applicate aluminium by laser welding and regrind the seat to get the right seating size for to fit the rotary sealing shaft ring

Regards
Rolf

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

Hello Rolf
Thank you for these precisions.
In september I think rebuid my rear axle and the rear part of the chassis.
Robert

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

Hi there
I am replacing the seals on the rear axle.
On the driveshaft side, I removed the felt seal and its spring, it seems that a lip seal with an outside diameter of 63 mm could be used.
On the axle shaft side, I have to make a tool to unscrew the flanges that must contain the seals, which already seem to be lip.
Can you tell me if the thread is in the normal direction or reversed on one side for this flange ?
Robert

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

Hello all. My tool is ready. I have tried to unbolt, but it is seized. Can someone can confirm the if it is clockwîze or antclockwize ?
Robert

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi, I did the same job on my 1933 Lanchester 15/18 several years ago. The hub seals threads were different on each side of the car. They corresponded with the direction of the wheel nuts. Do you have a parts book for your car. This would be a good place to confirm if the units were supplied in pairs. I managed to get 2 lip seals in each one. All the best, Ranald

I’m sure you already know but there will be a locking screw. Might be worth marking the seal assembly and back plate so you know exactly when the locking screw is in the correct place. My comments are all based on a different model so it isn’t out of the question that yours is different.