Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Recommissioning BSA 10

johnlittle

Recommissioning BSA 10

Post by johnlittle »

Hi, I have taken delivery of my new/old BSA 10 over the weekend and I'm in the process of recommissioning it after it's been standing for some 10 years without any real use.
A couple of snags that I don't have the knowledge to deal with, could someone help please,
The Solex carb seems to over fuel and there is some back firing in the carb on start up, which is not easy at the moment. What are the jet/needle size for this carb. there is also some leakage after the engine has been run.
Fourth gear wont engage, the pedal depresses to the floor but only returns to the position as if it were in the neutral position. Reverse, neutral, 1st, 2nd and 3rd all engage properly
Any help/advice would be very much appreciated

John

Mark Bullen

Re: Recommissioning BSA 10

Post by Mark Bullen »

If the BSA has a pre selecting gearbox check that the carpet and flooring isn't impeding travel. I have found on my DB18 that if the carpet moves and before the floor was correctly fitted that it could stop 4th gear engaging

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

A cause of flooding on the Solex carburettor can be if an electric pump has been fitted. Solex warned against this possibility in their service instructions and suggested fitting a needle valve with a stronger spring (probably difficult to find now) or finding a way of reducing the pressure. This may not be the case with your car but I mention it just in case.

Unfortunately regarding the settings, the only data I have is for the Solex carbs fitted to the later Scout nodels and not for the side valve 10s so I hope someone else can help you with that information.

johnlittle

Post by johnlittle »

Mark, Simon,
Thanks for your replies, l removed the carpet and sound deadening layer from under the gear change peddle and it made a little difference but a slight second touch brought the peddle up considerable so l'll do a test run tomorrow and see how we go.
The engine has what l imagine is the original fuel pump fitted so the pressure should be correct but thanks for the advice.
Regards.

John

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Thank you John. If your car has the original pump then it might be that the original needle valve is either worn or sticking and a new standard one would help. I wonder if your type is something like this :

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/5284 ... -didta-dis

Of course, it could be something completely different- a seal or gasket, something cracked (hopefully not !) but the needle valve would be a good place to start looking. If anything doesn't come apart fairly easily, treat it to some penetrating oil and give it a bit of time to soak in. There aren't many spare bits knocking around so a little extra care is worthwhile as they can usually be made to work providing everything is intact.

If the gearbox hasn't been used for a while you may find it will take a bit of going up and down the gears to either return it to better order or to identify any adjustments needed. It would be worth changing the oil in it first because there is an oil pump in the gearbox and once it is moving again that little pump wants to be pushing nice clean oil round the innards.

Fourth is, if I remember correctly, different on these boxes to the other gears. It's a cone clutch and I have found that if my 1932 built car hasn't been out for a while it can take a few moments after depressing the pedal for the gear to actually engage. Once it has warmed up and gone a few miles it all becomes more snappy in operation but it's a tendency so far I've only noticed on that car. Again, that may not be the reason here but I mention it just in case.

It might be worth your while having a search through previous posts about adjusting the selector mechanism ball joints and checking them for slackness as this can also give rise to a difficulty in selecting top. The quadrant on the gearbox can require just that extra fraction of an inch travel and without it, the pedal will fail to engage the gear. Because 4th is at the end of the selector mechanism, there isn't an "extra bit" of room to wiggle the lever upwards and make the selection properly. The good news is that most of these things are actually relatively straightforward to fix once the actual problem has been diagnosed.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi John, sorry I can't contribute much to help you but just wanted to say a welcome to the forum and how good it is to see a contribution from a BSA owner, it has been a long time.

I hope that you enjoy your new car and best of luck with the recommissioning. Syd

johnlittle

Post by johnlittle »

Hi everyone,
Very sorry for the tardiness in replying but i have been laid low by the obvious but fully recovered now thank goodness
The needle is exactly like the one in the attachment so that's helpful.

What would be really useful is if someone who has there car, with a Solex carb, running "just so" could let me have a note of all the jets and needle that they have fitted so l can start from there. That would be really useful.

As far as 4th gear is concerned, l have drained and refilled the gear box with fresh oil but that has made little difference to the problem. I need to drive the car a few miles to get the oil warm to see if that helps but that's dependent on the carb situation !

I have noticed that a very slight second pressure on the peddle makes a little difference to the peddle height but that movement is accompanied by a metallic click from the gearbox.

I hope someone can help, apart from those two items the car is virtually ready for the road
John

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

John as the problem is with your gearbox, you may find it more fruitful if you were to post a request for help on the general forum and it will reach Daimler owners.

You might also like to use the search feature top left.

Or perhaps, on my 15 which has a similar gearbox, some of the gearbox problems were solved by pumping the gear change pedal in and out about a dozen time, sounds a bit odd but it works it resulted in a much higher pedal and that seems to sort some problems. Syd

johnlittle

Post by johnlittle »

Syd,
I'll do that, thanks,
A long, long time ago l used to drive a Saladin AFV and Ferret Scout car and remember that trick.

John

johnlittle

Post by johnlittle »

oh, that should have gone on the general tech forum, sorry