Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Recommissioning BSA 10

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Recommissioning BSA 10

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, with regard to your “ Flooding” problem, have you checked that the Float is not punctured? You can check by placing the Float into a Bowl of hot water, if the Float is punctured, you will see steady stream of bubbles coming from the damaged area .

Cheers Al 👍👍

Geocet

Post by Geocet »

Hi, John.
I bought, off an auction house, a 10 last year. It was, unfortunately, a non runner as the capacitor in the SU electric fuel pump had burned out. With that replaced it would then run but lumpily and driving it was almost impossible. The float valve works fine and shuts off the flow from the pump as it should. I did two things. Drained all the old fuel (modern fuel does not "keep" well - I have found "blobs" of jelly like stuff in float chambers on other appliances before) and i removed and dismantled the carburettor, soaking it overnight in Plusgas (paraffin might have worked). Reassembled and fitted, fresh couple of gallons in the tank. and it is a different car. That was in April and in time for the Drive it Day. No trouble since. I have a noisy top gear (see previous posts). You dificulty in engaging top could be to do with adjustment of the selector, or the engaging/disengaging of the busbar, which might simply mean the pedal mechanism isn't travelling quite far enough to effectively change the gear. But then, if it changes properly in the other gears? G. Whitehouse (see in Driving member for the details) could advise. They know their stuff.
Good luck.
George Fawcett.

Geocet

Post by Geocet »

Hello again, John.
I cannot speak highly enough of the BSAFWD. They have been of immense support to me these last 6 months. Great knowledge and good suppliers of bits.
Have got an owner's manual? There are bits about adjusting the settings for the gearbox.
I also blew out all the jets and drillings of my carb with an airline (be careful etc. H&S).
Must dash. Off to Brooklands for the Retrojumble.
Regards,
George.

Geocet

Post by Geocet »

Hi, John.
01932 846755 if you'd like a chat.
George.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, I also had a problem with” Over Fueling” with my Lanchester Eleven, that was fitted with a Solex Carb , in the end, I opted to fit an SU carb, and that solved the problem and also improved performance 👍👍

Cheers Al