Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Italian Road Trip

Ask the organiser or check a website to see if an event is cancelled or postponed.
kstreet

Italian Road Trip

Post by kstreet »

We are planning an Italian Road Trip in our SP250, depending on what happens with Brexit, the plan is to tour from UK to the Garda region in May/June. Any guidance on route/ hotels or any other recommendations most welcome. Thanks, Kevin

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Italian Road Trip

Post by A.N.Other »

Personal choice considering I live in Leeds. I like to do the overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam. Then generally follow the Rhine to Switzerland and or Lichtenstein and into Italy. The Stelvio Pass and Mont Blanc tunnel are nice to tick off the “been there done that” list.
If you go the French way then the Route Napoleon is a well trodden path with much acclaim.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

The car museum in Mullhouse on the French-Swiss-Belgian border, has to be on the list and of course the Alps, tunnels are fine fantastic in a SP, though the noise does become intrusive after a time, but the mountain roads are are really well worth the trouble.

I have done the trip from Southampton to Leharvre down to Lyon and across the alps via the mountain road, a really beautiful trip with some SP250 testing mountain roads, then onwards to the coast, Monaco, Allasio and what ever part of Italy you like, Rome and Pisa are a very long drive though.

I have also done the trip from Nice to Monaco then across northern Italy to Milan into Switzerland down to Mulhouse then back via Belgium, France and the channel tunnel, that to is a worth while run.

But do try to go to Mullhouse one way or the other, that museum is something else, a really vast collection, brilliantly displayed.

Enjoy planning and making your trip. Syd

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

OK, you guys who've done it all before, give him some advice on travelling on the Continent, like how to make headlights dip to the other side, types of petrol and oil available, insurance, other documents, etc.

Also, what spares should he take? List a few essential spares that would fit into a small bag (no point in taking everything and he must have enough space for souvenirs to take home!)

Emergency toolkit items?

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi Kevin
We added a trip to the Italian lakes as an add on to the International rally in Holland. Unfortunately we could not take the dart as we originally intended as David beales failed miserably to get the engine rebuilt, but that's another story. I attach the day planner for the trip and do have somewhere the maps we used. We tried to avoid motorways where ever possible. We found the hotels and dinning in Switzerland very expensive. The trip up the Stellios Pass was great all be it in a XJ8 supercharged.
If you require copies of the daily route plans then send me a private e-mail and I will see what I can find.
As to Johns comments then you will need all the stuff you have to carry on the continent, this does vary from country to country so it is best to consult the RAC or AA web site. You will need to check the level of insurance you have some companies only cover the minimum. The other things you need are recovery service, including repatriation and a mobile phone.
As to spares and tools it is how long is a piece of string. I carry quite a bit but if you are looking to save space then go for items that are unlikely to be available locally mainly ignition parts and fuel parts. As to fuel try for E5 and use a booster if you think it is necessary, I would carry some oil that the same as you use at home.
Regards

Colin
Attachments
Diary 2018 International.xlsx
(27.36 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I got the impression John that the main question was about routes. That said however, I would only carry ignition bits and bobs, and bulbs. The car should be in tip top condition anyway before such a journey is considered. No alterations should be needed as things like lighting is not really bright enough on an SP to worry about and I wouldn’t want to drive in the dark and miss all that lovely scenery.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Sorry John can't understand your response.

Rereading the post, Kevin asked for help with planning the trip, we have to assume he has already done the planning for spares insurance etc and has the information you suggest or he would have included it in the request.

All you who have done it all !! If he was to get any response at all, would it not be best if it came from someone like Colin and me who have done such a trip all be it in a modern. Syd

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi All
It was only last year that we did not use one of the classic cars. We have taken them to Prague, Corsica, Bavaria, Spain Portugal Andorra and all over Switzerland France Belgium Holland . The basics are the same to see the best of the country take the Non Motorway route. For Hotels it depends on your taste we prefer upper price range hotels But there are all types depending on taste. I would advise with the classic cars you look for ones with secure parking, The may cost you in the bigger towns but it is worth it. As a rule we tend to 2/3 days travelling then a 2/3 day stop some where. Arrangements like this tend to take the strain off the driver. The other thing to watch out for are local holidays as the prices rise and the roads get very busy.
Regards

kstreet

Post by kstreet »

Thanks Guys.... advice really appreciated

Ursa major

Post by Ursa major »

Have you had a look at www.dangerousroads.org? Covers the world but there are some good descriptions of routes throughout Europe.