Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Buying a La 10

lomh 13

Re: Buying a La 10

Post by lomh 13 »

Thank you for this information. Have you some pictures ? As my english is not very good it will be easier to undertand in detail.
Robert
What looks right is right

chrisjb

Post by chrisjb »

Thank you bop for drawing the Newnes books to my attention. I wish that I'd had them 60 years ago when I had my first Daimler. I have now bought a set, bought because of some conundrums in the LA10 owners manuals.
Chris

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I should also say thank you to Bob. I too have bought the Newnes books. Volumes 1 to 4. They are a bit limited on the Lanchester 15/18, but it does get a mention and there is a section on the pre selective gearbox amongst over useful sections. No mention of the publication date. I would think just post war.

bop

Post by bop »

You're welcome.
Mine set is the SECOND EDITION (revised). As Ranald mentioned, no publication date!

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

The set i've bought is the Sixth Edition.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

As well as the four volumes, there is also the set of data sheets and wiring diagrams which is in a matching blue folder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newnes-Vinta ... SwtjBd69Fy

Most of the information is from about 1936/37 onwards but extremely useful.

I wonder if BSA issued servicing updates pre war to their dealers? My father was apprenticed to a BSA/Daimler/Lanchester agent during the war although they were also agents for Rover, Riley , Austin and Wolseley. I don't recall him ever saying that they had any written information about how to do absolutely anything. In fact, he seemed to feel sorry for the owners of particularly interesting vehicles who deposited them into the tender care of the garage to then carry out some discovery learning, although the company workshop had a slogan (apparently) of "We know every nut and bolt of these fine cars" . Riley certainly issued copious service instructions to their agents and I have a fair selection of these but I can't say I've ever seen any for the BSA products . Do we know if there were any ?

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Thanks Simon. I saw the reference to the data sheets and wondered why I didn't have them. I've bought the one you spotted on Ebay. Regards, Ranald

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

Hello all,
can someone tell me the oil capacity of a LA10 steering gear ?
Robert

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

Good evening everyone. With the lock down, work is progressing well.
Some pictures
I know the purists are going to scream, but I want to be able to use the car every day, so a recent mechanism is used.

Also I will be far from the original, because once finished it will be like this
Robert

frenchy

Post by frenchy »

What engine have you fitted to the vehicle, it does not look like the Lanchester LA10 1444cc engine. Cheers Frenchy