Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 windscreen rebuild

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: SP250 windscreen rebuild

Post by HenryC »

I have found this a very interesting topic as MGB roadster windscreens are constructed the same way. Thank you!
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

Once upon a time it was possible to buy screens which were not the correct size or shape and so when fitted the screen was stressed and liable to crack. Is this still the case and if so who supplies the correct ones? You need to be sure the screen you buy is the correct fit for the frame you have just spent so much time assembling.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

I would advise using a new rubber windscreen seal, the old ones get hard and if the screen is not quite right in curvature it will crack the screen, it is not so critical with toughened screens (if available and legal now) as they will take some extreme bending, the new softer seals give a decent wriggle room.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

The screws from Barry are obsolete because the holes drilled in the bottom and the top bar are far to big. They just fall through!
The original thread is BA ∅ 2 which translates into 4.7 mm and 31.4 threads per inch.
I have to use metric countersink M6 & M5 and Philips heads for good measure. :twisted: Well I'm not going concours anyway ...
At the bottom I have to use M6 anything smaller falls through.

All rubbers will be replaced.

A colleague from the Swiss SP250 Club bought a screen recently which does not really fit the frame. It looks as being just not wide enough.
It's not too bad, but it does not sit really flush with the upright bars.

I bought mine two years ago from DM. I placed the new one upon the old one and it's congruent. :D

Just drilled the first joint piece.
So fingers crossed. By the end of tomorrow I will hopefully get the frame together without the glass just to make sure everything looks OK.

Thanks to all for your kind advice!
Hans
Last edited by heh101353 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

Make sure when you are fitting the new rubber seal that you fit it the right way round!

Don't ask me how I know :( :o :shock: :?

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The screws are definitely 1/8 UNC, though in your case heh that is fairly immaterial, but I would think about making new joint pieces in stainless
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

Just an update on this:

All the joint pieces slightly modified to make them fit, then drilled and tapped. M5 on top and M6 at the bottom.
All heads of the countersunk screws ground down so they will go through the rail/bar but not fall out at the bottom end.
New rubber round the glass looks OK although there is a tiny bit of slack.
Top rail, bottom rail and glass marked at the middle.
Top and bottom rail fitted to the glass. Thanks to ratchet straps.
Left side upright bar went onto the rubber like a breeze.
Right upright bar had to be persuaded to fit with the help of ratchet straps.
(Not so easy to apply the pressure at the right angle. In the end I had to build a contraption out of wood to get it going)
At that point somebody yelled at me: "Hey I'm still over here in the shelf. Time to take care of me!" :o :o
It was that rubber seal which goes onto the bottom rail trying to get my attention.
So I disassembled the whole thing again, thinking it'll be easier to tackle this with just the rail and not the whole screen.

And now I'm stuck!
How for God's sake am I supposed to get that rubber onto the rail?
I managed, with the help of liquid soap, to push the rubber about 10 inches down the bar.
But then it would not go any further. Needless to say, that the ridge resisted to go into the groove where it enters the rail while pushing the rubber forward. :shock:
Fortunately there was no tape recorder around ...
I should have four arms and hands ... or maybe a smarter brain ...
I cannot see how it's possible to push that rubber the whole length of that rail.

Side note:
I changed the rubber on the top rail two years ago. That was already not that easy, but nothing compared to this.
At least I could easily watch what's going on as the groove is readily visible.

But in this case now :?: :?: :?: :?:

Any advice on
  • what other method/s to use
  • what type of lubrication
  • what type of tool, if there is any
would be most welcome.
Thanks to all.
Hans

By the way:
Ian Hastings wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:45 pm Make sure when you are fitting the new rubber seal that you fit it the right way round!

Don't ask me how I know :( :o :shock: :?
Which rubber are you talking about?
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

I was talking about the main seal that holds the glass.

As with the top seal you may find it easier to insert the lower seal into the groove by pushing it in sideways using a blunt chisel or screwdriver. Almost impossible to push it along the groove unless you use a really good lubricant.

Ask you significant other for some KY Jelly. :P :oops:

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

An SP colleague says that Screwfix plastic pipe lubricant is excellent for getting the rubber windscreen seals in.
Paul

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi, I have replaced a few Dart windscreens over the years. Triplex manufacture these and they distribute through Charles Pugh tel. 01773 581 458.
I believe the part no. is either HTO 103 CL or 4306 ACL.
In the past I have contacted C. Pugh and they have delivered to my nearest supplier of windscreens, who have then sold to me.
I do not know what D M. charge ,but I would think this route may well be cheaper.

Dave.