Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Hooper Century and 104 for sale

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Hooper Century and 104 for sale

Post by Fossil »

Gentlemen

I 've been contacted by Club Member Alan Hutt to say that because he is no longer able to drive, he wishes to sell two Daimlers, a 1955 104 saloon and a 1955 DJ256 4 door 5 seat Hooper bodied Century. Both cars are very rare, the Century in particular, and present a rare and exceptional opportunity to acquire an example of one or both in fine condition.

Hooper created three Empress style 4 door Century Sports Saloons in 1954/5 alongside three Empress style two door Dauphin cars, Only one of each of those three are still known of and in working order at present. They are all MkI spec 100bhp pre-select cars, built with typical Hooper style and quality. The dash has the full compliment of Century instruments and controls, the 4 door cars have picnic tables and other such features.

Alan's Century is the third of the three Sports Saloons, and has been well cared of for many years. It was resprayed some years ago, and previously belonged for many years to Dave Tomkiss, the current DJ252 registrar. The illustration is copied from a previous issue of the DM, and shows the car prior to its respray. It is now dark Green.

If you are intertested in either one please contact me by pm and I'll put you in touch with Alan.

PYM 949

Regards

Fossil
DJ256 Hooper 4 door.jpg

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Hooper Century and 104 for sale

Post by Fossil »

Good evening all

To my great surprise there was no response at all to this post last year.

The owner of both cars, Alan Hutt, has not been at all well since then, however both cars are still available for reasonable offers. I believe that he also advertised both of them in the DM, either November's or December's of last year. If they do not sell soon Alan intends to auction them.

If I was not several years less than 10 from the grand 8 - 0 I'd be very interested in them both myself. But I have enough to keep me occupied for a few more years and don't really have the space, such a pity!

Good 104 saloons are very thin on the ground now, and they are excellent post-war large Daimler saloons, if not endowed with the performance and disc brakes of the Majestic Major.

PYM 949 is the last of the original three, and the only known surviving DJ256 based Hooper bodied 4 door 5 seat Empress style Sports Saloon. It is unique in all senses, being the only one of the three 4 door Hooper Centuries to have Hooper body design no 8404b, the distinguishing feature of which is a wider rear door with a relatively very large rear door window. It is therefore the perfect Hooper Century for those who wish to have the benefit of a proper bench rear seat, with the added benefit of an excellent view for rear passengers, and easier entry and exit facilitated by the wider rear door. In addition PYM has the exceptional added benefit of the high ratio Conquest roadster rear axle, thereby making it a superb Conquest saloon for touring in a more relaxed fashion with frewer revs per minute at legal speeds than a standard Conquest that rotates at around 3000 rpm at 50 mph.

For the latter reasons alone, were it not for my age, lack of space and current ownership of a Dauphin, and my public spirited wish not to deprive other potential owners of the opportunity to own a Hooper Century, I would be seeking to acquire it myself. It is the perfect 'small' post-war coachbuilt Daimler, with all the benefits thereof - ease of maintenance, timeless style and quality, all combined with reasonable performance and economy. How can anyone resist?

It is perhaps also worth noting that the first of the three 4 door Hooper Centuries was a Royal Stock car when new.

Again, if you are interested in either car please contact me by PM and I'll put you in touch with Alan.

Regards

Geoff

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Beautiful car Geoff and probably the price of a small house when new.

I’d have to sell my house to buy it now though 😳
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Hi Graham

Yes the Hooper DJ256 probably was worth as much as a house when new, although I doubt very much that it is now. I suspect and regret that the house was a far better investment than the car. But consider the value it now represents.

C'est la vie, I guess, or 'say lavvy' as they say in Glasgow. Somehow Parliamo Glasgow carries more feeling?

Regards

Geoff

Cabin boy

Post by Cabin boy »

Are cars still for sale
David Mcleod

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I understand that both the Hooper Century and the 104 have now been sold, which is perhaps good news although I have no other information beyond that.

One hopes that both the Club and the Forum will have been mentioned to the new owners.

Regards

Fossil

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

The cars have landed in Shropshire, and I have seen them.

Keys not present, so will have to wait a few days to see if they run (although after 4 years hibernation it is not guaranteed).

More later

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Hi David

I look forward to reading more. Did they have a smooth landing?

I'd really like to know who the new owner is/are.

Cheers

Geoff