Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

What is it?

Hooper Daimlers & other pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers sub-forum.
Cars in motoring holidays, racing, at functions like marriages, in museums, etc. Photos not applicable to technical, sale or event forums.
Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

What is it?

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

This picture appears on the DLOC website.....
Capture4.JPG
...and I'm wondering what it is?

The 'V' on the front suggests V8 power and the whole body rather looks as if constructed from a number of '60's donor cars, with slight echoes of the Ogle SX250.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: What is it?

Ah - if I'd looked a bit more closely there is a description underneath the picture....it's a Tornado Talisman V8

(it still doesn't look very pretty!)
Nick

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Presumably if on the website it has the Daimler V8 engine?

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Chris_R wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:42 am Presumably if on the website it has the Daimler V8 engine?
Apparently, yes. This extract from Wikipedia suggests the car utilised quite a lot of SP250 ....

......The company (Tornado) was bought in 1963 by John Rex Glyn Bekaert, Jaguar racing driver and friend of Lofty England (Jaguar). The company was renamed Tornado Cars (1963) Ltd. and the first project was the build of the Talisman V8. This car was based on the shortened and strengthened chassis of a Daimler SP250. Engine, gearbox and even suspension were reused from the Daimler and the Talisman body put on top. The car was presented to Jaguar Ltd. when finished and even taken into consideration by them, codenamed "Jaguar Intercity Car". Handling and performance were found to be brilliant and just two weeks after completion the car had won the Rallye de la Route in France when Pat Moss only made it to 6th place.
Nick

soaringace

Post by soaringace »

Yes I’m sure it’s in the Brian Long SP250 book. The previous Talisman had used Ford engines but I think this was a one-off using an SP250 chassis and engine. It actually looks better in ‘real life’ than the picture shows!

I actually went to see it when it was for sale a few years ago, and my good friend Andrew Ducat was interested in buying it, but thought it too expensive at the time.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Interesting find Nick but I think I have seen this before, perhaps on the old forum.

The overall shape is quite pleasant, but those side windows just don't work, a lot depends on how the side view looks and this one looks like they were borrowed from and MG B GT and stuck on to save having to make more sympathetic ones. Syd

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

Chassis No. 102557 was rebuilt after an accident in Morocco as a ‘Tornado Talisman’
The car lives since quite a few years in Switzerland.
In 2016 the present owner invited Bill Woodhouse over to Switzerland to show the car to him during the "Fantastic Plastic Car Show".
https://www.classiccarconnection.ch/eve ... c-2016.php
Hans
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

heh101353 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:23 am Chassis No. 102557 was rebuilt after an accident in Morocco as a ‘Tornado Talisman’
The car lives since quite a few years in Switzerland.
In 2016 the present owner invited Bill Woodhouse over to Switzerland to show the car to him during the "Fantastic Plastic Car Show".
https://www.classiccarconnection.ch/eve ... c-2016.php
Hans
Thanks for the link Hans - very interesting. I can see now that the car actually bears a SP Daimler badge!
Nick