Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

dynamo cover

pflanaga

Re: dynamo cover

Post by pflanaga »

I asked what material is used on the Manner's dynamo cover and the response I got was:

"we think it is painted mild steel it certainly is not stainless steel."

pflanaga

Post by pflanaga »

I asked Manners what type of material their dynamo covers are and the response I got was:

"They appear to be painted mild steel not stainless steel"

Paul

pflanaga

Post by pflanaga »

I asked Manners what type of material their dynamo covers are and the response I got was:

"They appear to be painted mild steel not stainless steel"

Paul

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The originals were aluminium plate and fairly thin, most were damaged when adjusting the fan belt and the mounting lugs snapped at the bend, making them of steel and painted seems an expensive way of producing what would become a tatty rusty non standard item, not an improvement. With the cost of a cover at £60 and an extra £24 for the badge, one wonders about the badge as I would have thought cast and chromed would exceed the cost of a piece of thin plate and paint, even more if it was machined.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Mike0Ryan

Post by Mike0Ryan »

Hmmmm... Painted steel does not sound promising. My bubble is being burst! :cry:

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Mike0Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:16 pm Hmmmm... Painted steel does not sound promising. My bubble is being burst! :cry:
Have you tried Barry Thorne. I had a cover from him (without the Daimler badge since I already had one) and it was definitely aluminium....
1-P1210831.JPG
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

I've also had the aluminium cover and badge from Barry. Need also some tiny pop rivets.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

smithgor wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:56 pm ......... Need also some tiny pop rivets.
I used nickel plated bifurcated rivets.....
Capture.JPG
....they give a cleaner look than pop rivets.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

Here is one I made earlier. Earlier this week. Made from an A4 sheet of 1mm thick aluminium at a cost of £3.50 delivered. I think the original is made from 20 SWG aluminium. To fix the badge I drilled 2mm holes in the cover and screwed in A2 slot panhead M2.5 machine screws The aluminium is soft enough to take a thread.
Attachments
CIMG5575.JPG

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Having heard nothing from you Paul, I have put them back into hibernation. Syd