Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Stuck cylinder head

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
mikemillen

Stuck cylinder head

Post by mikemillen »

Today I started to remove the cylinder head on my LD10.
I have everything disconnected and removed... all that's keeping the head on now is 75 years of stiction.

Can anyone suggest how I might safely liberate the head from the block?
I don't have an engine hoist or even a garage that I can suspend a block and tackle from.

Google suggests putting a load of nylon rope down into a cylinder and cranking the engine over.
Does anyone have any other ideas?

bop

Re: Stuck cylinder head

Post by bop »

Have you tried turning over the engine with the spark plugs in and push rods removed. The compression force should lift the head.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

bop wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:51 pm Have you tried turning over the engine with the spark plugs in and push rods removed. The compression force should lift the head.
That's what I hoped, but sadly it had no effect. :cry:

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

It must be lifted by a few thou. you might find where by feeling air getting out

Maybe try some hardwood wedges https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/631/i.html?_ ... ood+wedges

bop

Post by bop »

The rope trick should work, just make sure you turn the engine over by hand so you can control the force exerted. I would not use the starter. If you have compressed air another method is, remove spark plugs and try forcing air through one of the spark plug holes.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

I shall definitely try the rope trick. May not be for a week now, as other commitments preclude another attempt soon.

My ever-wishful thinking is that leaving it a week with all nuts removed and the day/night temperature cycling in the garage might possibly allow it to relax and move enough so it will be an easy job when I next try it.

Well... you have to keep optimistic, don't you? :)

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

You might still need some wedges to initially level it on its way up

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Brian-H wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:04 pm You might still need some wedges to initially level it on its way up
Yes... much preferred to an old chisel. :-)

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

:D and there must be many of us who, in the past, have used old chisels to get cylinder heads to shift 8-)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Don't butcher your engine as being suggested.

Make some Plasticine "reservoirs" around each stud and fill with penetrating oil or diesel and leave it for a day or two.