Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

The genesis of the unified thread form.

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
qantasqf1

The genesis of the unified thread form.

Post by qantasqf1 »

In the dark days of June 1940 the British government told Rolls-Royce to send a complete set of Merlin drawings to the US government in case the unthinkable happened. Thinking Britain was bound to be defeated by the Germans Henry Ford refused to have anything to do with manufacturing the engine so the car manufacturer Packard agreed to manufacture the Merlin instead. This turned out to be an incredibly difficult task for Packard and it is to their eternal credit that they actually managed it, although it would have been made slightly easier if Packard management had agreed to send some of their engineers to Derby to study the Merlin. One of the major obstacles Packard encountered was the use of the British screw threads BA, BSP, BSF and Whitworth because these thread forms were a completely unknown quantity to US engineers since the two governments and industry representatives had never thought about agreeing to a common standard after WW1 this issue was clearly a problem to be addressed after the war. In the meantime Packard had to find a US company that could manufacture taps, dies etc. to UK specifications and since the US was starting to go on a war footing in those days that caused some delays, but finally Packard overcame the problem and their Merlins went into production, first manufacturing them in 1941 for the rest of the war. To understand the challenge of duplicating British threads (including oversize threads) there were about 140 different types used on the engine, many of which were not documented so Packard engineers had to resort to physically measuring them. Components for the Packard engines such as magnetos, generators, carburettors, etc. were all US-made and thus employed American threads.
After the war the US, UK, Canadian governments and engineering representatives got together to agree on common thread forms. Not surprisingly the new thread form was called Unified and it encompassed coarse, fine, extremely fine, pipe, J-thread and so on, hence today we have UNF, UNC etc.
It would be remiss of me here not to mention the outstanding work by Packard to manufacture an engine of about 13,000 separate parts that was never designed to be assembled on a production line basis: Rolls-Royce engineers assembled them by selective fit, whereas the US production line method meant the dimensions of Packard (and, for that matter, Ford UK) Merlins had to be revised to allow interchangeability. Redrawing the affected parts to accomodate the assembly line method must have been the job from hell. The fallout of the production line method is reflected by the Packard Merlin Overhaul Manual which is more or less the same as a conventional workshop manual (except vaster) so semi-skilled workers could follow the assembly sequence without resorting to hand fitting as per the Rolls-Royce method whereas the Rolls-Royce manual (they called it a ‘handbook’) is nothing like as detailed and about a tenth of the size.
Finally, since Dan Snow’s 3-part TV series The Dam Busters is being shown here in Australia, it may be of interest - if you’ve got this far - that the Lancasters deployed on the dams raid were all fitted with Merlin 28 engines which were made by Packard, USA (complete with British threads)!

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: The genesis of the unified thread form.

Post by Brian-H »

That was a very interesting read, thanks.

I've seen the 3-part TV series about the Dam Busters, which IIRC also includes the Tall Boy usage on other targets. I don't think they mentioned that the engines were Packard built - or did they ?

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Brian, I’ve only seen the first two parts. There’s nothing said about the engines, but I can’t speak for the entire series as part 3 isn’t on until next Sunday afternoon and well after Norwich lose. Again. However I would guess there’s no mention of the engine manufacturer because after all it’s not ‘on topic’ so to speak.
Steve

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Well Norwich were playing at Chelsea's home ground on Saturday, and losing there was obvious, even Liverpool would struggle to draw there. But next Sunday Norwich are at home against Leeds, so the result is not easy to predict.

I think I might be confusing the Dan Snow Dambusters with another documentary on 617 squadron in which they went on to use Tallboys against various targets including the Tirpitz .

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I am following this thread with interest :D.
Come on Leeds
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

If I were doing the football pools, I'd put Norwich v Leeds as a no-score draw.

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

That would put the cat amongst the Canaries :D :D

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I like a thread with a bit of a twist. :D
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

Yep you can't beat a good yarn!

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Looks like the Cat got the Canary :cry:

Bizarre yesterday with Brighton getting a draw at Liverpool after being 2-0 down :roll:
And Crystal Palace playing away at Man City and beating them :o

Maybe admin could move most of this to a Footie Thread :?: